Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer Might Tackle DRM, Blu-Ray Support

Phoronix: GStreamer Might Tackle DRM, Blu-Ray Support

At the recent GStreamer Conference 2013 there was a presentation on "Taking Gstreamer to the Next Level" and in there some interesting features were brought up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There certainly would be many Linux users interested in better Blu-ray support!

Not interested, I'm not using blu-rays. And bringing support for DRM in Gstreamer sounds like a very controversial topic. Many won't like that garbage to be present anywhere in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Many won't like that garbage to be present anywhere in the system.
      Then they don't have to install it, it is as simple as that.

Comment

I tried to migrate to using a Windows 7 based HTPC for playing blu rays a while back (maybe a couple of years ago). It was horrible, even using commercial software. Simple things like pausing, resuming, fast-forward and rewind seemed to be buggy as hell. I'm not sure how much it might have improved, but it's a format that does not seem to play well with PCs. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect Linux to be able to play it flawlessly.

And while I understand the previous poster in their dislike of the format, not all of us are Stallman-level FOSS zealots. I, for one, would be interested in blu ray playback on Linux, I just don't have very high expectations. So I'll probably stick to my standalone player.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Then they don't have to install it, it is as simple as that.
          There's more to that.
          DRM is essential for the market. The problem with DRM is the same as with greed or software patents - it's not because it exists but because it's vastly abused.

Comment

blu-ray works with makemkv

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I tried to migrate to using a Windows 7 based HTPC for playing blu rays a while back (maybe a couple of years ago). It was horrible, even using commercial software. Simple things like pausing, resuming, fast-forward and rewind seemed to be buggy as hell. I'm not sure how much it might have improved, but it's a format that does not seem to play well with PCs. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect Linux to be able to play it flawlessly.

And while I understand the previous poster in their dislike of the format, not all of us are Stallman-level FOSS zealots. I, for one, would be interested in blu ray playback on Linux, I just don't have very high expectations. So I'll probably stick to my standalone player.

since some years blu-ray works using xbmc and makemkv. It loads the bluray slower because it kind of streams it to the system, but it improved a lot. Since some months it is even much easier to install and to use because it does not need a xbmc-addon anymore. After installation you just pull it in and press on the "play disc" button in xbmc. And it does not even cost a cent.

Comment

Isn't there libaacs already anyway? (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay). It covers most of the basic needs for those who really need this.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Isn't there libaacs already anyway? (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay). It covers most of the basic needs for those who really need this.
                Except this doesn't include BD+, and libaacs can be interesting to get to work for newer disks.

Comment

Is there any work on 3D support in MKVs or Blu-Rays? I'm specifically wondering about MVC streams which are used on 3D Blu-Rays and in MKVs.

Comment

Any news about supporting MVC-streams? These are used in 3D Blu-Rays and MKVs.

Comment

Working...
                    X