Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 1.6 Brings A Whole Lot Of Changes

Phoronix: QEMU 1.6 Brings A Whole Lot Of Changes

QEMU 1.6.0 has been released and with this open-source processor emulator commonly used with Linux KVM are a whole lot of new features and capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad QEMU is making so much progress. I remember 5 years ago it was pretty terrible, but today it's pretty great. Does anybody know if x86 OSX can be emulated?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm glad QEMU is making so much progress. I remember 5 years ago it was pretty terrible, but today it's pretty great. Does anybody know if x86 OSX can be emulated?
      OS X can be emulated, but it's seems to need quite a bit of work to get it running well: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/

Comment

I'll have to try VGA passthrough again some time. My first attempt failed, but at the time it was a super experimental technology, anyway. I'll probably retry in openSUSE 13.1.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          I'll have to try VGA passthrough again some time. My first attempt failed, but at the time it was a super experimental technology, anyway. I'll probably retry in openSUSE 13.1.
          i don't think much of the xen patches have their made through to qemu yet. even normal xen 4.3 doesn't work unless you do:

device_model_version = "qemu-xen-traditional"

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Which board do you have?

With KVM
            pci-stub method. Worked for me with SATA drive but i couldnt get my 7800GT to work i got Code 43 in Win

vfio method

Comment

Faster ARM emulation?

Can ARM emulation be made faster?

Pain in the ass to develop for Android because the emulator is so slow.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Can ARM emulation be made faster?

Pain in the ass to develop for Android because the emulator is so slow.
                That's why they recommend to emulate x86 Android. If your app is Java anyway, you don't need to emulate ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  That's why they recommend to emulate x86 Android. If your app is Java anyway, you don't need to emulate ARM.
                  There isn't any x86 image for Android 4.3 yet. Latest is for 4.2.2.
                  I've tried the x86 Android image, and its slow as hell, just as slow if not slower than the ARM version.
                  I also enabled Intel haXe to speed up emulation, but it doesn't help, its just as slow as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    Which board do you have?

With KVM
                    pci-stub method. Worked for me with SATA drive but i couldnt get my 7800GT to work i got Code 43 in Win

vfio method
                    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768
                    I have a GTX 660 (that I'd like to try and give to the guest) and an integrated HDG 2500 (for the host). I tried both methods, and they give the same result: no signal when connecting the monitor to the GTX 660.

Comment

Working...
                    X