• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke
    replied
    We can choose NOT to deal with DRM by boycotting commecial content

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Brutal truth indeed.

If we are going to deal with DRM in our lives, the least they can do is to standardize its implementation.
    We can certainly have a DRM-free internet, by choosing not to use DRM'ed service, and never to pay for music or movies. Lots of people stopped buying music after the RIAA lawsuits. I prefer to tune out Hollywood these days. I use the Internet for user-created content, and never attempt to monetize any of my news reports and videos. The net connects just fine to this free, non-DRM content.

I have literally never seen a DRM'd file other than an old-school CD or DVD, long cracked. One thing I like about Linux is keeping DRM support OUT, using crackware to defeat DVD encryption, and no iTunes, no Netflix, or any of the rest of that paid content I want nothing to do with. If it ain't pirate or free, it's not allowed on my drives.

I will block all known license servers in /etc/hosts if if becomes difficult to exclude DRM support from browsers. Flash supports DRM, but you can break that support by not installing HAL. I have never encountered a DRM's flash file, due to my non-acceptance of paid content.

I will certainly remove any DRM support plugins if firefox ever ships them, or stay with a pre-DRM version. This is just like the Windows users who refused to "upgrade" to Vista,7, or 8 because they didn't want DRM.

We all have our own perferences, but I prefer a free and open net, and support it by refusing all paid content and programs. Netflix, Hulu, I don't even want them. if others want DRM support, just make sure it can be disabled by those who do not want to be tracked!

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Oh, and another thing... I'd love to support artists and creators that I like. In fact I do it all the time. I buy games, I buy downloadable music even when it's offered in such a way that I could just as easily download it for free... to the best of my limited possibilities, I try to support the content creators whose work I appreciate.

But then sometimes I run into a situation like this (for example): there's a comic that I want to read. I go to the only place selling it, but the international shipping costs are stupidly high, making it infeasible to order that way. I look into electronic versions, which are all behind a web-based flash reader - talk about DRM: they don't even let me download it as ebooks. At this point I still grit my teeth and pay the amount to read the comics with their e-reader, hoping they'll never bail out with my paid content - and what do I get: after paying for the content, buying a couple of issues, they inform me that they've made a mistake, that the content I've bought shouldn't be available in my country, and that I can't buy any further issues of that comic. After some back and forth with the support they agreed to make the comics I already bought available to read for me, which was a nice gesture, but I still couldn't get any more new issues.

So at that point, I feel I've gone as far as I can to support the creators. There I am, ready and willing to throw money at them, even going so far as to allow them to potentially rip me off with their online DRM, and they don't want to take my money because of some imaginary lines drawn in sand. FFS, it's the 21st century, we live in a global village, get over it already! So at that point, YES, I will torrent those comics. How would the creators benefit from me NOT seeing their content, if they give me no opportunity to pay for it in any case?

Leave a comment:

• Anthony
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Can you think of a better way to stop people from pirating content?

Even humble indie bundle games get pirated.
    To be honest yes.

Surely the easiest way to reduce piracy is to make the legitimate version at least as good as the pirated version?

Selling a crippled version that people can't use without expensive hardware/software is just gonna result in more people pirating, just to get a version they can actually use.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Fuck that. Games cost millions of dollars to make, as do movies. TV shows can also be quite expensive. Music isn't free to record. There is value in that if everyone's lazy freeloading worthless ass doesn't pay for it, _it won't get fucking made in the first place_. There is no need for value-add to "pay for this or just don't consume it." There's only assholes who steal other people's hard work and pretend they have a God-given right to consume whatever media whenever they want even if it cost 200 people 3 years of their lives to make. The content has value - either you want to consume it and you pay the asked-for price or you don't pay and then you live your life without ever experiencing the content just like millions upon millions of other people manage to do just fine. Piracy is purely the domain of self-entitled douchebags who want things they haven't earned or worked for. DRM might not be the answer, but "add more value to an $80,000,000 title so I won't freeload" is fucking moronic.
    I disagree with your views.

Piracy is not stealing. Why is it that I can go to a library, and lend a book, or a CD or a movie, read or listen or watch it as many times as I like, let my friends do the same, even make copies of the media for my own use, and no one thinks anything is wrong... but if I do the same over the internet, suddenly I'm a thief, a criminal?

That's bullshit. Sharing is good. "Piracy" isn't an issue. Humble Bundle has shown that it doesn't matter: even if there is some piracy, when you're fair and give people good terms, they will pay for content, because people want to support content creators. So DRM is pointless, it only alienates customers and does nothing to deter "piracy".

Piracy also doesn't hurt the music or movie industries. That's just an excuse. What they're really afraid is becoming obsolete and losing their position as gatekeepers to the market. Since the internet gives anyone the ability to self-publish and even get funding (kickstarter et al.), totally bypassing all established gatekeeper channels, the old and fat corporations are very afraid of becoming irrelevant. They fear the day when all artists realize they don't have to work as slaves to the publishers/record labels/etc. That's why they make excuses like "piracy" and try to present it as a moral issue, why they try to campaign for even more draconian legislation (SOPA, ACTA) to censor and cripple the web.

And that's also why this DRM for HTML5 is a bad thing. It's just another battle in the ongoing war between the old gatekeepers and the new market disruptors. Similar battles can be seen all across the board, in every industry. For example, Microsoft is trying its best to stay as the gatekeeper of the OS market. All of them are fighting a losing battle, because progress cannot be stopped.

Oh and before you trot out all the old strawmen, this doesn't mean that everything should be free for everybody. No one is saying that content creators shouldn't be compensated. They should, it's just that they need to develop business models that allow them to get paid without limiting the rights of consumers to share content freely. There are already tons of such business models available, many of them already proven to be feasible.

And those of you who say that this is a good thing because "it gets rid of flash and silverlight", who think that DRM is inevitable, that's just not true at all. Even if W3C corrupts the HTML5 standard with DRM, that's no guarantee that content providers won't still implement their own DRM schemes. That's no guarantee that you'll get netflix on Linux. However it would help legitimize DRM and make it easier for content providers to implement. Why should it be easy for them? Why should the slaves make it easier for their masters to whip them to submission? Are we really collectively suffering from Stockholm syndrome, where no matter how much the copyright mafia keeps flogging us, we just bend over and ask for more? I don't think so... we managed to repel ACTA and SOPA, we can fight this too.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    How long until we get pirated Linux games from Steam?

aka hl2, l4d, etc.
    How long until there won't be Linux games from Steam anymore because some morons think that the artists making the games won't need the money and pirate everything?

Leave a comment:

• toyotabedzrock
    replied
    So instead of plugins that get updated we will trust media companies to test and update their emes?

And I never view drm protected media. So tell me how there will be no web?

Leave a comment:

• Prescience500
    replied
    While this won't fix the DRM in HTML5 issue, there's a new bill in Congress that legalizes DRM cracking for instances in which copyrights are not being intentionally violated. This would legalize cell phone unlocking on both the consumer and producer side and end the legal issues with DVD and Blu-Ray DRM cracking by media players to play movies on Linux. I urge all American citizens here to read this and sign the petition and spread it around as much as possible:

http://fixthedmca.org/unlocking-technology-act.html

I don't know how much support is has in the House right now, but so far the co-sponsorship seems somewhat bi-partisan. If this becomes law, it would be the biggest real copyright reform in a very long time.
    Last edited by Prescience500; 11 May 2013, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Fuck that. Games cost millions of dollars to make, as do movies. TV shows can also be quite expensive. Music isn't free to record. There is value in that if everyone's lazy freeloading worthless ass doesn't pay for it, _it won't get fucking made in the first place_. There is no need for value-add to "pay for this or just don't consume it." There's only assholes who steal other people's hard work and pretend they have a God-given right to consume whatever media whenever they want even if it cost 200 people 3 years of their lives to make. The content has value - either you want to consume it and you pay the asked-for price or you don't pay and then you live your life without ever experiencing the content just like millions upon millions of other people manage to do just fine. Piracy is purely the domain of self-entitled douchebags who want things they haven't earned or worked for. DRM might not be the answer, but "add more value to an $80,000,000 title so I won't freeload" is fucking moronic.
    You talk about piracy, why don't you go after the big gaming, music, and movies caught stealing someone's else creation without paying them a dime with their own rules? That is a sheer of hypocrisy and double standard.

Leave a comment:

• adriankx
    replied
    My 2 cents

I live in a country where every computer that doesnt come with Windows OS preloaded get 1 pirated copy installed by someone. Not to mention game movies and audio content.Private torrents are full with almost everything u need at a free cost . Like it or not they will never be able to restrict sharing on internet nor they will make money on every ripped movie found on torrents. Thank god we have Russia and hackers and crackers will still pirate everything that moves. So for me everything work on linux couse i dont use or buy disks off any kind when i can get it all free via torrents. Sharing is freedom power belongs to the people!

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    I signed the partition though. ( free software foundation )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X