Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

Phoronix: Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

Lennart Poettering and Kay Sievers at Red Hat hope to work on a handful of new systemd features as part of the Fedora 19 development cycle. One of the features includes work to make systemd have its own time-based job scheduler that's similar in nature to cron...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, it's systemd again...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Yeah it is. Those systemd hackers CODE and get the job(s) done while the moronix bitch crowd does nothing but .. bitch. Even though last weeks mythbuster by Lennart sure did shut a bunch of neckbeardos, nothing speaks like real code and commitment(TM).

All your base are belong to sys'd

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        One of the features includes work to make systemd have its own time-based job scheduler that's similar in nature to cron...
        Why not simply merge cron into systemd? Why stop while you're on a roll?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

Same reason they didn't merge syslog into systemd. If you dont want to use systemd's verison, you just dont use it. You just keep doing what you've always done.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

That was actually my reaction too XD I saw the article hit the top of the page and I was just like "...No. Michael...why?"
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              You will get the cron-replacement and a bunch more from the systemd git tree. And thats really interesting. If you decide to do like Ubuntu and go all anti-systemd then you also get the pain of maintenance. And the rest of the sane world? They will have a single tree to pull the entire core from.

Now the idiot crowd have to revert to sanity(systemd tree) or sustain the pain and suffering from maintaining crap out of tree. Mark Shuttleworth is probably thinking about ditching upstart too. Any hour spent on core stuff outside the systemd tree is really a wasted effort.

Comment

Watching the Linux/Lennart Poettering/systemd clusterfuck unfold from my FreeBSD system is...

AWESOME.

Comment

Sounds like Lennart is interested in writing a whole operating system of his own.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Sounds like Lennart is interested in writing a whole operating system of his own.
                    It's the new fad. All the cool kids are doing it: GNOME OS, Firefox OS, Android, Ubuntu OS. No Linux anywhere, or GNU for that matter. Everybody wants to be the boss in their own little pool.

I don't expect it to last too long, really. The Linux community has always been at its best when all major players pulled in the same direction. The best ideas from these forks will be pulled back into the major projects and Linux will continue long after Lindows and co. are gone.

Without trying to start another flamewar, this is the advantage we have over the BSDs. We can always merge forks back into the mainline.

Comment

Working...
                    X