Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Yea, same here, I used it from the very first version of openSUSE that allowed using it at install time, and had only minor difficulties that do not depend on the FS to begin with. Though I'd really wish YaST would have LVM-like support for subvolumes, right now they are underutilised...

Leave a comment:

• mazumoto
    replied
    I use btrfs for a few years now on all my systems (server, desktop, laptop), I use it on dm-crypted raid5, I use it as root-fs. And I never had any data loss (where ext4, on a rc-kernel, but already stable, ate some of my data). Not even when it was really experimental and really didn't have any out-of-disk handling - I hit that of course :-)
    So yeah, it's not statistically valid, but for me it is production ready.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    I suppose it's about time. The btrfsck tool is still a bit hit-and-miss with whether it introduces new issues while fixing or not, but then you are not likely to hit any real issues with it unless you have a faulty RAM module (which I had, unfortunately, but Btrfs remained bootable and all the personal data was still intact even under those circumstances). So while not the default option, having it as an alternative is good enough now.

Leave a comment:

• pankkake
    replied
    On the same page:
    The Btrfs pages have moved to http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org, please visit the new site to find documentation, downloads and more details on Btrfs.

Leave a comment:

• joffe
    replied
    Meanwhile, if you visit Oracle's btrfs page, you're greeted with this bolded information:

The Btrfs disk format is not yet finalized, and it currently does not handle disk full conditions at all. Things are under heavy development, and Btrfs is not suitable for any uses other than benchmarking and review.
    I suppose that's outdated, but that's bad enough.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic SUSE Enterprise Considers Btrfs Production Ready

SUSE Enterprise Considers Btrfs Production Ready

Phoronix: SUSE Enterprise Considers Btrfs Production Ready

SUSE is now comfortable officially supporting the Btrfs file-system and considering it a "production ready" Linux file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X