Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Switches Back To KDE

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Switches Back To KDE

Linus Torvalds has announced today via his Google+ page that he's switched back to using the KDE desktop. He's provided his positive and negative feedback after having previously dumped KDE/GNOME in favour of Xfce...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Switches Back To KDE

Linus Torvalds has announced today via his Google+ page that he's switched back to using the KDE desktop. He's provided his positive and negative feedback after having previously dumped KDE/GNOME in favour of Xfce...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMDY
    LOL, what a flamewar this will cause

Comment

I give him 2 weeks before he switches to something else.

Comment

This just proves how wise and intelligent Linus is, just like all KDE users.

Comment

From article:

The Linux kernel creator hasn't commented though on what motivated him to leave Xfce.
          But he did .. Isn't it obvious? Wobbly windows!

"But ah, the ability to configure things. And I have wobbly windows again. "

Comment

Being a KDE fan, I think Linus' complaints are fair and justifyable, however, I wouldn't find them to be compelling reasons to not use KDE. You can choose to change the appearance, not use widgets, and ignore settings that you don't want to mess with.

IMO, what KDE needs most right now is:
            * Fixes on some compositing glitches on certain themes
            * Faster startup time (KDE loads way too slowly, but I haven't used the latest releases yet)
            * systemsettings needs to be overhauled, because there are lots of inconsistencies and poor organization. It should be divided into a few main sections (eye-candy, UI settings, admin settings, hardware settings, etc) and then each of those should be divided into their own categories (so under eye-candy there could be kwin compositing, themes, color schemes, etc). This way you can ignore entire sections that are daunting or unappealling to users who want something as simple as GNOME.
            * Lessen dependencies on packages that shouldn't matter, such as nepomuk or konqueror.

@Rigaldo
            Those features may be why he likes KDE, but they weren't reasons to leave XFCE. In other words, Linus didn't say what made him dislike XFCE, if he does at all.

Comment

KDE's default mouse cursors are laughable. This is one of the reasons why people say KDE looks "cartoony." Instead of sharp, precise pointer, we get a bulky, fuzzy piece of madness.

Why KDE doesn't simply adopt Vanilla-DMZ as its default mouse cursor theme is beyond me.

Comment

So God has smiled again upon us, KDE users.

KDE is very enjoyable if the first thing done after installing the distro is changing the Plasma theme. The default one... needs a bit more polishing, I guess. Nevertheless, I have some plasmoids I can't live without anymore, especially the one playing online radio stations. Does any other DE have that feature? Havent found such DE yet (or, more likely, haven't tried hard enough).
                Last edited by Reloaded211; 02 November 2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Whooo

Whooo

I use XFCE with Compiz. I have wobbling windows too.... No reason for KDE... And expo mode... And all-windows-at-once mode, much better than alt-tab... and Alt-tab with preview...

Not that I dislike KDE,.. I like it a lot! .. but if your point is to use less memory, XFCE+Compiz rock. But KDE plasmoids are really cool idea, if you want plasmoids then KDE is really good option!

Its that I use many applications in active mode, with own window and only time, player, sys resources monitor, clipman as passive in systray.. If I would need more stuff in background with more fun I would switch to KDE.

Comment

Prepare for the shit storm, I say.

Comment

Working...
                    X