Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Might Be Another EXT4 Corruption Bug

Phoronix: There Might Be Another EXT4 Corruption Bug

It was only days ago that an EXT4 file-system corruption bug affected the stable Linux kernel, which was finally patched yesterday. Now though it looks like there may be another EXT4 corruption bug affecting the stable kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Scary

ext4 is supposed to be mature, reliable and well tested system today.

It is scary with so these file corruption bugs lately.

Luckily this one is reproducible so hopefully it will soon be fixed.

Comment

Not again...

Comment

More important, i always reformat the HD when install a new Linux and NEVER upgrade a distro (as in: from 12.04 to 12.10 or 13.37 to current)

There is nothing like a fresh start.....

OTOH, i'm starting to get fed up with EXT4....any other FS recommended that is more stable, corruption free and if possible, faster ?

TIA,
        AJSB

Comment

1. Format and label a target Ext4 partion using Ubuntu 12.04
          2. Install 64bit 12.10 OS using that target without reformatting it
          3. Shut down
          4. Boot an alternate copy of Ubuntu
          5. Restart selecting the newly installed OS
          6. Login then shutdown
          6. Boot an alternate copy of Ubuntu
          7.Fsck the newly installed OS allowing corrections to be made
          Why would anyone do that?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            More important, i always reformat the HD when install a new Linux and NEVER upgrade a distro (as in: from 12.04 to 12.10 or 13.37 to current)

There is nothing like a fresh start.....

OTOH, i'm starting to get fed up with EXT4....any other FS recommended that is more stable, corruption free and if possible, faster ?

TIA,
            AJSB

So much bullshit in one single post. First: I'm happy for you if you format every 6 Months. You are the future. Second: stick to Ext3 as it has a long history when compared to a baby like ext4. I'm also not sure how can you be fed of Ext4 if you never encountered the bug described in the this post or in any other one.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
              Why would anyone do that?
              If he was just helping out doing some extra testing, I'm genuinely impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                So much bullshit in one single post. First: I'm happy for you if you format every 6 Months. You are the future. Second: stick to Ext3 as it has a long history when compared to a baby like ext4. I'm also not sure how can you be fed of Ext4 if you never encountered the bug described in the this post or in any other one.
                So much hasty conclusions (and bullshit) in one single post.

If you read previous posts from me you would know by now that i use SLACKWARE as my only distro (i do install other distros in another partitation for testing purposes but don't use them in a regular basis, hence my reference to 12.04 to 12.10) ....SLACKWARE , as opposite to CRAPBUNTU is not "replaced" every 6 months....

As for EXT4...
                Actually i encountered corruption in EXT4 in the past and last weeks news about a new surge of bugs made me remember "good old times" about it....these events in last weeks are not 1st time that EXT4 is hit by serious corruption bugs.

So, besides going back to EXT3, any more good alternatives ?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  So, besides going back to EXT3, any more good alternatives ?
                  As far as I know, ZFS is the only usable alternative available that provides solid data integrity guarentees.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                    If he was just helping out doing some extra testing, I'm genuinely impressed!
                    Well, he forgot a few steps:

8. Pull hard drive without shutting down computer.
                    9. Throw hard drive at wall.
                    10. Krazy-glue "alternate copy of ubuntu" to hard drive, and hook up to car battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X