Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EXT4 Corruption Bug Is Fixed

Phoronix: The EXT4 Corruption Bug Is Fixed

Last week it was discovered an EXT4 file-system corruption bug hit the stable Linux kernel. The true cause of this EXT4 bug has now been uncovered and patched within the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay! We don't need filesystems that get silently corrupted! Thanks for the fix. Hopefully major distros will backport the fix to previous 3.x kernels.

Comment

Is it fixed in 3.6.4?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Much to do about nothing.

More people win the lottery and get struck by lightning on the same day than run into this bug.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Is it fixed in 3.6.4?
          How should it? The patch comes after the release of 3.6.4.
          Even 3.6.5 hasn't the patch, but in 3.6.6 it will be in.

Comment

THANKS Ted!!! You are the best!!

Comment

Looks like Greg forgot to mention the fix in the 3.6.5 changelog. I can't see any reference to "fs/ext4/ialloc.c" in https://lwn.net/Articles/522218/ but I just verified the patch at http://tinyurl.com/cck5a99 is included anyway.

Comment

While it is great that the bug was quickly fixed and the patch will be back-ported to kernels that contain the bug, I would like to thank Ted on the way he and the kernel developers handled the bug.

Every step of the way, the bug and its development was kept completely transparent. Ted wrote on his blog progress reports as they delved into the bug and tried to replicate it and possible solutions.

This is one of the primary reasons I support and love open source development. Things break - it's human nature to err. But when they do, we aren't kept in the dark. We are promptly informed and given help on how to mitigate damage.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
                  Every step of the way, the bug and its development was kept completely transparent. Ted wrote on his blog progress reports as they delved into the bug and tried to replicate it and possible solutions.
                  Um, you do realise that blogs are not where Linux development is centred, right? The actual discussion and to-and-fro about this happened in mailing lists and the occasional bit of private email, just as it has for decades. The transparency was not on account of the blog post: the blog post was Ted trying to calm things down after the thing hit the media.

Comment

Working...
                  X