Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Based CrossOver Software To Be Free Tomorrow

Phoronix: Wine-Based CrossOver Software To Be Free Tomorrow

CodeWeavers will be giving away their Wine-Based CrossOver software tomorrow for free...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh wow.. they're giving free software (wine with name changed) away for free. Oh my god I'm going to rush over and download a dozen free copies of this free software that is being given away for free. Wow.

Comment

What does it have to do with presidential election? Do applications for voting work only on Windows and have to use Wine/Crossover on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Fazer View Post
        What does it have to do with presidential election? Do applications for voting work only on Windows and have to use Wine/Crossover on Linux?
        I'm wondering the same thing. I also don't fully get why they're releasing it for free because unless their work is far superior to wine, then people may try this free version and be like "this isn't much better, I'd rather donate to wine" so this is a big risk they're taking.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Oh wow.. they're giving free software (wine with name changed) away for free.
          CrossOver includes fixes for problems that haven't been fixed in Wine yet, usually because the Wine devs are really picky about accepting patches. They also financially support several Wine devs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I also don't fully get why they're releasing it for free because unless their work is far superior to wine, then people may try this free version and be like "this isn't much better, I'd rather donate to wine" so this is a big risk they're taking.
            And who funds them, if they release it for free? Also Codeweavers is the biggest sponsor of Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              Oh wow.. they're giving free software (wine with name changed) away for free. Oh my god I'm going to rush over and download a dozen free copies of this free software that is being given away for free. Wow.
              Crossover is not free nor should it be. It makes installing lots of windows programs way easier than vanilla wine or other projects. When people pay for something like Crossover they pay for 1) convenience and ease of use 2) support from people that actually write most of the code in wine. That money pays for continued development of wine and for the servers that host winehq with all its functionality.

You want free? Good, use free. Nobody forces you to pay a dime. You want to support the wine project? Then donate your time as a developer to the project and fix stuff or pay for Crossover

On the other hand. You get software for free, with no strings attached and still you complain?! You total tools.
              Last edited by who_me; 30 October 2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                Crossover is not free nor should it be. It makes installing lots of windows programs way easier than vanilla wine or other projects. When people pay for something like Crossover they pay for 1) convenience and ease of use 2) support from people that actually write most of the code in wine. That money pays for continued development of wine and for the servers that host winehq with all its functionality.

You want free? Good, use free. Nobody forces you to pay a dime. You want to support the wine project? Then donate your time as a developer to the project and fix stuff or pay for Crossover

On the other hand. You get software for free, with no strings attached and still you complain?! You total tools.
                First, wine is not opensource, its opencore.

Second, it SHOULD be free and open, and employ subscription model for those seeking direct developer attention; instead of crippling the base, forcing community to reinvent the wheel and fragmenting the development.

Third, what's the reason for giving something free of charge, if the point people buy crossover is to support wine?!
                Doing this movie is like snake biting own tail, they signal to convert a portion of wine users into crossover users with hopes for them to pay. This is BAD and signalizes that wine will possibly die soon, due to head biting on own tail.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  First, wine is not opensource, its opencore.

Second, it SHOULD be free and open, and employ subscription model for those seeking direct developer attention; instead of crippling the base, forcing community to reinvent the wheel and fragmenting the development.

Third, what's the reason for giving something free of charge, if the point people buy crossover is to support wine?!
                  Doing this movie is like snake biting own tail, they signal to convert a portion of wine users into crossover users with hopes for them to pay. This is BAD and signalizes that wine will possibly die soon, due to head biting on own tail.
                  Forcing the community to reinvent what? Did wine have something like Crossover and Codeweavers yanked it?! It was and still is a PITA to deploy on its own. If they make it easier to use and work on improving wine they should get paid for that.

Crippling the code-base?! How exactly do they cripple it by not putting in it some hacks that solve problems for a small amount of cases (the amount of software that is officially supported is quite small) but that could potentially damage the way a lot of other programs work?

Finally, the point of the campaign is two-fold. One, it's a way to make a splash and potentially make more people aware that Crossover exists. Second is about civic duty. They might get some people off their arses and interested in politics, like they should be. Not just interested in who to vote for but also to get them to pay attention to what the people they vote for actually do instead of watching garbage on TV all day and getting fat.

Comment

No thanks

I do not want proprietary software.

I rather just use Wine which is free open source software.

Comment

Working...
                    X