Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Data Corruption Bug Hits Stable Linux Kernels

Phoronix: EXT4 Data Corruption Bug Hits Stable Linux Kernels

As a warning for those who are normally quick to upgrade to the latest stable vanilla kernel releases, a serious EXT4 data corruption bug worked its way into the stable Linux 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6 kernel series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, I'm on 3.6.3 right now -.-
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Great on 3.4.15 which got updated a few days ago -.-

Comment

Any word on which versions of 3.4 are bad? I'm on Fedora 16 running 3.4.11 right now and haven't noticed any problems since my last reboot two days ago. I just installed the upgraded kernel 3.6.2 but luckly haven't rebooted to it yet. Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll be removing that update now.

Comment

0_o dafuq im on 3.6.2 and rebooted it regurarly yesterday.

And the fucken thing panicked after a reboot today. (but probably this was not related to this bug).

I don't think anything got corrupted though.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
            Any word on which versions of 3.4 are bad? I'm on Fedora 16 running 3.4.11 right now and haven't noticed any problems since my last reboot two days ago. I just installed the upgraded kernel 3.6.2 but luckly haven't rebooted to it yet. Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll be removing that update now.
            F16, installed 3.6.2, rebooted a few times since then. It's all ok for now.

Comment

This is probably why, for seemingly no reason at all, my /home partition wouldn't mount yesterday on my desktop; I had to fsck it and fix a bunch of errors. Everything is fine now... phew.

I had done a few reboots applying updates in Arch Linux, which is likely what triggered the bug (article says several reboots in rapid succession could trigger it, due to journal replaying behavior).

Comment

I use ZFS with Linux 3.6.2, so I am unaffected.

Comment

TG i'm "still" using 3.6.0

I was to upgrade to 3.6.2 but now will wait for 3.7 anyway....it should be fully fixed by then....

Comment

Can the article be clarified? It seems like some people are going around saying the bug was introduced in 3.6.3 but 3.6.2 is affected too. This work machine I'm on now is running Fedora 17 with 3.6.2. No sign of an update yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X