No announcement yet.

Qt5's Linux Requirements Cause Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course crass language is a part of life.. its the part that causes me to cease caring about reading Phoenix articles which are often incorrect but at least retained some semblance of professionalism however remote it was it was sorta there.

Comment

is this for real?

Funny there is no mention of this where it can count and be discussed for real: on Qt's development mailing list.

Comment

That's it. I'm done with this website.

This is the worst piece of trash posted on this site ever. And really, we all know how difficult the competition is.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          What Michael isn't realizing is that Phoronix's credibility plummets towards zero with each article he posts lately. Most people already don't consider anything reported by Phoronix as being worth reading.
          ^this
          And the few professionals that sometimes came to the forum (even if only to post the correct information after larbel screwed up), are fleeing (see above). Occasional forum discussions with them were the last useful thing on this site.
          Now it's just daily flame/troll wars, cycling mono, gnome, systemd, compiz, pulseaudio, and the other usual suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            That's it. I'm done with this website.

This is the worst piece of trash posted on this site ever. And really, we all know how difficult the competition is.
            Me too. I'm sick of opening up "articles" and cringing at the contents

There is no visible sign of any proof reading and certainly no fact checking

RSS unsubscribed and I won't be back

Hopefully I can find a better site else where. If any one has any suggestions feel free to email me at mike@fire burn.co.uk or tweet me @fireburn

Comment

Again, this was a freelance editorial article submitted by someone. But anyhow, I have been fairly burned out lately and other problems. Fortunately though will be rejuvenating back in Germany in 48 hours to get back on track.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                EGL hardly has an installed base right now. Maybe in five years you can rely only on it.

By my count, EGL is available on mobiles, mesa git, recent blobs. Not on much of the linux systems, nor Windows or Macs. (not 100% sure on the EGL situation on Macs)
                Yes, however it will be available on most distros by the end of the year. My netbook is running openSUSE 12.2 and MESA is compiled with libEGL1 and even has glamor 2D acceleration which depends on EGL. I expect other distros to do the same (sans the glamor bit) if they haven't already.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  EGL hardly has an installed base right now. Maybe in five years you can rely only on it.

By my count, EGL is available on mobiles, mesa git, recent blobs. Not on much of the linux systems, nor Windows or Macs. (not 100% sure on the EGL situation on Macs)
                  True enough, but the same could be said of Qt5. If you are worried about bringing in large dependencies, that's the one you've got to worry about. An EGL lib is nothing on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    Qt 4 is 6.5 times slower with raster engine than with native engine on Intel G33 graphics card

qtperf4 -graphicssystem native
                    Total: 28.072001 s

qtperf4 -graphicssystem raster
                    Total: 183.154999 s
                    The "native" render engine might be faster, but it's buggy. Fonts don't render correctly (kerning seems to not be applied at all.)

Edit:
                    Some proof with screenshots. First, "native":

Then, "raster":

If you flip between the two, you will see that the "native" engine's font rendering is way off.
                    Last edited by RealNC; 15 September 2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      The "native" render engine might be faster, but it's buggy. Fonts don't render correctly (kerning seems to not be applied at all.)

Edit:
                      Some proof with screenshots. First, "native":

Then, "raster":

If you flip between the two, you will see that the "native" engine's font rendering is way off.
                      You are right, I didn't really notice that until I read your post. You can also see the difference in the screenshots I posted:

raster: http://i.imgur.com/Cmlv1.png
                      native: http://i.imgur.com/wXEiZ.png

Look at the window title where it says "main window", kerning does look way off in native.

Comment

Working...
                      X