Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Filesystem In Linux 3.6 Kernel Has Big Changes

Phoronix: Btrfs Filesystem In Linux 3.6 Kernel Has Big Changes

The Btrfs file-system update for the Linux 3.6 kernel is "a large btrfs update" with new features introduced to this next-generation file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so when will this be ready to be default ?

Comment

When it's stable enough for production use.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
        When it's stable enough for production use.
        4.0??

Comment

Send/receive is great, but what happened to raid 5/6 that were due for 3.6?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Send/receive is great, but what happened to raid 5/6 that were due for 3.6?
            Last I read they had corruption issues with the RAID5/6 code, so it got delayed. I think since then it may have stagnated a bit, so it requires a chunk of work to bring it into line with master, and fixing the corruption issue.

Comment

ZFS had it in production ages ago.

Until further notice, use ZFS/ZPL. In production for 6+ years already. (ZfsOnLinux kernel module and Illumos/BSD)
              - While BTRFS is re-inventing ZFS, still.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
                Last I read they had corruption issues with the RAID5/6 code, so it got delayed. I think since then it may have stagnated a bit, so it requires a chunk of work to bring it into line with master, and fixing the corruption issue.
                It would be nice if we could get an update on this, though. It's frustrating having RAID 10 eating all my disk space.

Comment

Originally posted by Markore View Post
                  Until further notice, use ZFS/ZPL. In production for 6+ years already. (ZfsOnLinux kernel module and Illumos/BSD)
                  - While BTRFS is re-inventing ZFS, still.
                  Or perhaps BTRFS is more of a ZFS replacement with many of the features of ZFS, considering the patents and the license surrounding ZFS.

Comment

how to repair

is it no possible to repair a broken Btrfs - had this month's ago after crash, my $Home was close to dead.

@Markore is it possible to use ZFS with Linux - thought only for BSD?

Comment

Working...
                    X