Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.5-rc7 Kernel: Not Cool, Guys. Not Cool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hirager
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    It doesn't really. With rc7 I have a good chance that the screen remains black on waking up from suspend, with rc6 it seems to work fine. Big changes = way bigger chance of breaking something.
    Did you file the bug?

Leave a comment:

• disi
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Linus doesn't care about the size of the kernel (much). He's complaining that people saved up all their fixes for a late rc when he would have preferred to have them come in earlier.
    They do the same in politics, wait until the very last moment and then push it through parlament before the ministers have time to read it

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
    Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.
    It doesn't really. With rc7 I have a good chance that the screen remains black on waking up from suspend, with rc6 it seems to work fine. Big changes = way bigger chance of breaking something.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
    Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.

I rarely do kernel upgrades. If the new kernel fixes a problem that I had with my computer, I then upgrade. If it does not I do not upgrade the kernel. Following and upgrading after every kernel patch that comes out is just testing Murphy's law.
    Linus doesn't care about the size of the kernel (much). He's complaining that people saved up all their fixes for a late rc when he would have preferred to have them come in earlier.

Leave a comment:

• tecknurd
    replied

I rarely do kernel upgrades. If the new kernel fixes a problem that I had with my computer, I then upgrade. If it does not I do not upgrade the kernel. Following and upgrading after every kernel patch that comes out is just testing Murphy's law.

Leave a comment:

• disi
    replied
    I couldn't even build 3.5 yet (only a quick test and not really checked why), last I tried were 3.5-rc6. I have big hopes in it to be able to follow kernel releases again, my radeon card doesn't work properly since 3.4 release...

Maybe later at home

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    But better have some patches again but then a stable and good working kernel than to release too early and things being in a flaky state.

Leave a comment:

• XorEaxEax
    replied
    I lol'ed at the discovery made in the talks of moving Microsofts hyper-v code out of staging, apparently they found the following constant:

#define HV_LINUX_GUEST_ID_HI 0xB16B00B5

I guess some guy at Microsoft hadn't been getting any for quite some time

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragas View Post
    If our main goal is to produce that flame wars ... this should be done. Because the kernel developers really have skill at that. But actually I'd rater exploit ther programming skills more.
    nothing like spicing things up when they get rather dull and humdrum

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Poor Linus...he's getting crapped on yet again or is he crapping on the devs for putting out huge patches?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X