X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Nobody wants mono djeez!!
    Somebody really isn't getting it.
    Developing Mono seems to be financially viable so yes, someone really wants it regradless what you happen to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      Developing Mono seems to be financially viable so yes, someone really wants it regradless what you happen to think about it.
      Sure people want it... software dev's who are TOO LAZY OR STUPID to build or provide software for more than just MS[p]OS, and MS, who wants to keep LAZY/STUPID software devs providing for only their platform through making use of alternate platforms UNPLEASANT.

Oh, and there are also LAZY/STUPID END USERS, not bright enough to insist that their software providers support better platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Sure people want it... software dev's who are TOO LAZY OR STUPID to build or provide software for more than just MS[p]OS, and MS, who wants to keep LAZY/STUPID software devs providing for only their platform through making use of alternate platforms UNPLEASANT.
        Maintaining completely different codesbases for different platform is expensive. In many cases Linux might be the secondary platform so if it wasn't easy there wouldn't be any port at all. Also you point makes no sense what-so-ever as .Net is avaible through Mono in many different operating systems and it's to my knowledge quite easy. In case of desktop Linux how do you insist developers that work on their freetime to write the software the way you like? No one forces you to use Mono and if people find that programs written in Mono are superior I don't see any reason why they should keep on using them. Calling developers lazy or stupid for choosing to develope in the language of choise in caps makes you look like an funcking idiot. In the end it's all about results and if Mono is what you gets there then so be it.

Comment

Maintaining completely different codesbases for different platform is expensive.
          Where do you come up with the RETARDED idea that it takes different codebases?

In many cases Linux might be the secondary platform so if it wasn't easy there wouldn't be any port at all.
          Says someone with obviously no experience in software development.

Also you point makes no sense what-so-ever as .Net is avaible through Mono in many different operating systems and it's to my knowledge quite easy.
          Sure. Easy to sell yourself to the lowest bidder and subject yourself to the possibility of litigation as a result of IP theft.

In case of desktop Linux how do you insist developers that work on their freetime to write the software the way you like?
          Huh? I'm talking about COMMERCIAL software packages. Hobby devs can do whatever they like, makes no difference to anyone.

No one forces you to use Mono and if people find that programs written in Mono are superior I don't see any reason why they should keep on using them.
          How about the fact that software written in mono is INFERIOR, even if just for the potential LEGAL problems that it introduces?

Calling developers lazy or stupid for choosing to develope in the language of choise in caps makes you look like an funcking idiot.
          Developing using something that is EXCLUSIVE FOR ONE PLATFORM, IS stupid, and not switching to something that works on MANY platforms IS LAZY.

In the end it's all about results and if Mono is what you gets there then so be it.
          As I've been saying (and you're too dense to inderstand), is that Mono does NOT get you where you are best off. Its a BAD SHORTCUT and POTENTIAL LIABILITY.

Comment

Where do you come up with the RETARDED idea that it takes different codebases?
            If you start off with Windows developement with .Net and decide to port you application to non-Windows platforms and for some reason don't want to use Mono then you have to rewrite it in different language leading almost completely new codebase. Many companies might have mostly .Net developers and moving completely to a new language might not be possible but creating a smaller and less feature full version in other language for some other platform might be viable and that would lead to two different code bases or something like that.

Says someone with obviously no experience in software development.
            If we are talking about application developed in .Net then of course in most cases Linux is the secondary platform... also [citation needed].

Sure. Easy to sell yourself to the lowest bidder and subject yourself to the possibility of litigation as a result of IP theft.
            [citation needed]

Huh? I'm talking about COMMERCIAL software packages. Hobby devs can do whatever they like, makes no difference to anyone.
            In commercial software the are many factors to be taken in account: price, time schedule, features... etc etc etc. It really doesn't matter much in what language the software is written as long as it provides.

How about the fact that software written in mono is INFERIOR, even if just for the potential LEGAL problems that it introduces?
            If they were always inferior then they wouldn't even exist on the market and also [citation needed].

Developing using something that is EXCLUSIVE FOR ONE PLATFORM, IS stupid, and not switching to something that works on MANY platforms IS LAZY.
            .Net is multiplatform language through Mono so how exactly is it exclusive to one platform? Multiplatform support isn't necessarily worth the cost and making profit is what matters. It has nothing to do with being lazy...

As I've been saying (and you're too dense to inderstand), is that Mono does NOT get you where you are best off. Its a BAD SHORTCUT and POTENTIAL LIABILITY.
            Anyone can say anything; it's completely different story if what they say can be backed up. You haven't provided any actual evidence for your claims. Also the fact that you write in capital letters and use words like LAZY, STUPID and RETARD to describe people that disagree with you doesn't exactly make you believable.

Comment

If you start off with Windows developement with .Net and decide to port you application to non-Windows platforms and for some reason don't want to use Mono then you have to rewrite it in different language leading almost completely new codebase. Many companies might have mostly .Net developers and moving completely to a new language might not be possible but creating a smaller and less feature full version in other language for some other platform might be viable and that would lead to two different code bases or something like that.
              If you start with a brain at the beginning rather than writing it in something doomed to ONE PLATFORM, then this problem wouldn't exist, now would it?
              If not, better to start the conversion process NOW rather than wait for the problem to get EVEN BIGGER.

If we are talking about application developed in .Net then of course in most cases Linux is the secondary platform... also [citation needed].
              You're a retard. EASY vs DIFFICULT.
              No neet to "port" something that is already compatible with multiple platforms.
              Citation: PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE.

[citation needed]
              .NET is a developer platform with tools and libraries for building any type of app, including web, mobile, desktop, games, IoT, cloud, and microservices.

In commercial software the are many factors to be taken in account: price, time schedule, features... etc etc etc. It really doesn't matter much in what language the software is written as long as it provides.
              Are you seriously that brainless that you think that FUTURE PROOFING what you're working on should not be considered as important? One who plans for the future does not develop using MS PRODUCTS because this will RESTRICT such a system to MS PLATFORMS.

If they were always inferior then they wouldn't even exist on the market and also [citation needed].
              For the balance of requests for "citation needed" -- fuck you, you can google it yourself.
              I can't respond to any other part of that statement since it has absolutely no meaning.

.Net is multiplatform language through Mono so how exactly is it exclusive to one platform? Multiplatform support isn't necessarily worth the cost and making profit is what matters. It has nothing to do with being lazy...
              NO IT IS NOT. .NET IS MSBULLSHIT ONLY.
              Mono is a HACK, NOT A PLATFORM.
              When MS finishes burning themselves to the ground and the world has moved on to the next thing to come, you'll see a lot of software developers going under since their code won't work on any current platforms. Multi-platform support is what it costs to be successful LONG TERM. A lot of software developers are short sighted since they haven't seen the revolutionary platform fluctuations that are about to hit. Its starting with MOBILES -- MS is TERRIFIED right now since the desktop is DYING, and they don't even have a foothold in the replacement -- mobiles.

Anyone can say anything; it's completely different story if what they say can be backed up. You haven't provided any actual evidence for your claims. Also the fact that you write in capital letters and use words like LAZY, STUPID and RETARD to describe people that disagree with you doesn't exactly make you believable.
              One does not need evidence to support LOGIC.
              Or would you like me to cite examples of MS PATENT TROLLING? I think you can manage to work google all by yourself, you don't need me to do it for you.

Comment

Oh boy, this has gotten out of hand pretty quick.

Comment

If you start with a brain at the beginning rather than writing it in something doomed to ONE PLATFORM, then this problem wouldn't exist, now would it?
                  If not, better to start the conversion process NOW rather than wait for the problem to get EVEN BIGGER.
                  You don't seem to understand: Mono exists. Also there are a lot of talented .Net developers out there so that one of the obvious reason why someone might want to develope applications using it. Many projects start small (startups) so there might not be resources nor talent to use other langugues or support other operating systems.

You're a retard. EASY vs DIFFICULT.
                  No neet to "port" something that is already compatible with multiple platforms.
                  Citation: PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE.
                  Yeah again... you are not an authority. You rambling idiot in the internet. Your "personal knowledge" or alledged "experience" ammount to nothing. I have no idea why do you ever write your posts, I mean do you honestly think that someone is going to take you seriously if you call them retards? You have already pretty much labeled yourself as a troll.

Where exactly does it say that using Mono might lead to litigation as a result of IP theft?

Are you seriously that brainless that you think that FUTURE PROOFING what you're working on should not be considered as important? One who plans for the future does not develop using MS PRODUCTS because this will RESTRICT such a system to MS PLATFORMS.
                  It's one of the factors to be taken in account, yes. There however aren't any major threats in using Mono so it's not that big of deal in this case. Mono isn't exactly MS product either and using it doesn't limit yourself to using MS Platforms unless you think that Linux and Mac OS X now somehow are "MS Platforms"...

For the balance of requests for "citation needed" -- fuck you, you can google it yourself.
                  I can't respond to any other part of that statement since it has absolutely no meaning.
                  Well then any sane person is going to categorize what you say by default to being bullshit unless they happen to have the needed knowledge which I think in this case would lead to same conclusion.

NO IT IS NOT. .NET IS MSBULLSHIT ONLY.
                  Mono is a HACK, NOT A PLATFORM.
                  When MS finishes burning themselves to the ground and the world has moved on to the next thing to come, you'll see a lot of software developers going under since their code won't work on any current platforms. Multi-platform support is what it costs to be successful LONG TERM. A lot of software developers are short sighted since they haven't seen the revolutionary platform fluctuations that are about to hit. Its starting with MOBILES -- MS is TERRIFIED right now since the desktop is DYING, and they don't even have a foothold in the replacement -- mobiles.
                  Mircosoft is doing extremely well right now actually. source. You screaming and yelling that Mono is "crap" and everything doesn't mean anything unless you back it up.

One does not need evidence to support LOGIC.
                  Or would you like me to cite examples of MS PATENT TROLLING? I think you can manage to work google all by yourself, you don't need me to do it for you.
                  Your logic sucks.
                  The core of the .NET Framework, and what has been patented by Microsoft falls under the ECMA/ISO submission.

Microsoft has announced that the ECMA standards for C# and the CLI are covered under the Community Promise patent license.
                  source

Comment

If you start off with Windows developement with .Net and decide to port you application to non-Windows platforms...
                    If you start off with Windows developement with .Net, then I would like you to stop, look in the mirror, and say the following to your reflection.

"I have made a mistake. Cutting my losses and re-implementing my application from the end of UML phase in an unencumbered cross-platform language/runtime is the the most sane course. I won't make the same mistake ever again."

Ready, set, go!

Teho,

Please understand that some of us are not just random internet rabble rousers. While I am not permitted to discuss my dealings with MS, I am permitted to discuss my hire dates, durations of employment, exit dates, and whether I was a V-, A-, or red-badge at MS. We're trying to offer you advice on a topic in which we are not legally permitted to speak about the details.

F
                    Last edited by russofris; 16 May 2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                      Oh boy, this has gotten out of hand pretty quick.
                      You have to admit it's fscking hilarious that the mention of Mono (even in this context) will have people at each others' throats and banging their CAPS LOCK keys for emphasis. I'm surprised we haven't seen enlarged and/or bolded text yet...

Comment

Working...
                      X