Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error-Fixing Btrfs FSCK Tool Is Imminent

Phoronix: Error-Fixing Btrfs FSCK Tool Is Imminent

An fsck utility capable of fixing problems on the Btrfs file-system is imminent. Plus other features continue to be worked on for this next-generation, open-source Linux file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

He compared btrfs to btrfs?

Comment

2012 is going to be an awesome year for free software

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. I've been hearing "fsck for btrfs is being worked on and should be here soon" for over a year now.

Comment

What's the big deal about fsck? I've had a power loss corrupt ext4 beyond fsck repair, never had a problem with btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            What's the big deal about fsck? I've had a power loss corrupt ext4 beyond fsck repair, never had a problem with btrfs.
            Perhaps it is more symbolic than anything. If the primary developer of the filesystem is unable to write a decent fsck utility, it may indicate that the filesystem is not yet stable enough or not well enough understood (or is too buggy) for serious use. On the other hand, if he CAN write a decent fsck utility...

Comment

Huge deal for me, I have had some very nasty corruptions that fsck has fixed up like a charm on ext4.

Comment

openSUSE

Article fails to mention openSUSE, which had btrfs in 11.4 for some time now (though experimental), and since november 2011 in openSUSE 12.1 it is possible to simply choose it during the install wizard. It even has snapshot capability built into YaST (snapper), so it can revert to the state of the filesystem before your last change for example. Phoronix is unfortunately, again, very Ubuntu biased.

Comment

How the heck do you know you don't have a problem since there's no fsck for it? Are you psychic?

Comment

I've had the exact opposite in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X