Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.2 Kernel Officially Christened

Phoronix: Linux 3.2 Kernel Officially Christened

Linus Torvalds officially christened the Linux 3.2 kernel on Wednesday afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This time it is no good release for everybody. I can only boot my netbook when i blacklist rt2800pci - otherwise it crashes. My i7-880 on h55 chipset with nv 405 card only works with extra kernel option intel_iommu=off. Not really too much fun as it affects about 50% of my boxes that did not require a boot option before. Well a netbook without wlan is not really good...

Comment

Has this bug only appeared since the last RC?

Comment

Nope, but it happens on my slowest system with atom cpu with rt2800pci since rc2 (before 32 bit did not build), which i had to identify first - not that funny when the system always crashes when you boot it. Now i blacklisted the correct module to avoid the crash.

Comment

So when did the bug appear?

Comment

Well i tested the kernel since it was possible on 32 bit with u mainline kernels. The first available was rc2 for 32 bit because it did not compile before. I really need that netbook, did not try that long. If you have got enough spare parts feel free to send it to me. It is my only netbook...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Well i tested the kernel since it was possible on 32 bit with u mainline kernels. The first available was rc2 for 32 bit because it did not compile before. I really need that netbook, did not try that long. If you have got enough spare parts feel free to send it to me. It is my only netbook...
              Did you report the compilation issues?

Comment

Sure, those are easy to see when only amd64 binaries are there for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Very Happy With 3.2!

I've been running the 3.2 builds during the development cycle, and this is the happiest I've been in several years with Linux. I'm most excited for the I/O-less dirty throttling work. I can finally write large amounts of data to slow, external usb drives and memory sticks without massive long pauses ( we're talking on the order of 30sec. - 180sec. or so of complete system freeze while the buffer slowly flushed and locked out all other writes) . No need for various kernel tweak attempts to solve the writeback flush issue anymore. I'm currently running 3 rsyncs transferring 100's of gigabytes to 2 separate external usb devices ( one usb 2.0, one usb 3.0 xhci controlleri) and also syncing to a hard disk partition. No long pauses, no audio stutters, and the rsyncs are all moving along at expected platter speeds.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by mgmartin View Post
                    I've been running the 3.2 builds during the development cycle, and this is the happiest I've been in several years with Linux. I'm most excited for the I/O-less dirty throttling work. I can finally write large amounts of data to slow, external usb drives and memory sticks without massive long pauses ( we're talking on the order of 30sec. - 180sec. or so of complete system freeze while the buffer slowly flushed and locked out all other writes) . No need for various kernel tweak attempts to solve the writeback flush issue anymore. I'm currently running 3 rsyncs transferring 100's of gigabytes to 2 separate external usb devices ( one usb 2.0, one usb 3.0 xhci controlleri) and also syncing to a hard disk partition. No long pauses, no audio stutters, and the rsyncs are all moving along at expected platter speeds.

Thanks for all the hard work!
                    Hey,

do you know which change fixed this problem?
                    Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X