The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KhaaL View Post
    I agree with most of your post, but unity?!?? I tried gnome 3, KDE 4.6 and I liked them both way more than unity. I almost prefer Windows over unity. And I've been a ubuntu-kiddie for over 5 years.
    I'm using Windows and KDE since long time and sometimes I'm just getting bored, so I try something new.

Comment

@V!NCENT

I actually like gnome 3. I like how it simplifies the workflow (note however, the removal of various settings and customizations drives me nuts). I like how gnome-3 makes the system-tray sexy autohidden. Not to mention how well it runs on my system.

But thats about it. KDE beats gnome in every area otherwise. I.... just wish it'd run more smoothly on my system. And that the back button on the mouse would work in dolphin.

@kraftman

I'd take enlightenment over unity any day if I'd feel bold and craving for something new & fresh ;-)

NOTE:

One feature removal that annoys the hell out of me in gnome 3 is removal of the ability to scroll between tabs while hovering the pointer over the tab bar since its "confusing for the user". What kind of arrogant attitude is this to the desktop user??

Comment

Originally posted by KhaaL View Post
        @V!NCENT

I actually like gnome 3. I like how it simplifies the workflow (note however, the removal of various settings and customizations drives me nuts). I like how gnome-3 makes the system-tray sexy autohidden. Not to mention how well it runs on my system.
        It's not as if you couldn't implement that into Gnome 2.x. Now that the biggest distro has dumped it due to dissatisfaction with the execution of the new Gnome (their own idea done wrong for crying out loud) and the massive outcries, I can't help but think that Gnome needs to go back to where they were for the time being and perform a well-thought-through reboot. Not just their DE but especialy their own internal organisation mentality.

And that the back button on the mouse would work in dolphin.
        You've found a bug, congrats... No but realy, KDE's on a right path. I realy can't say that Gnome 3 is on any path.

Comment

Both KDE Plasma Workspace and GNOME Shell have been interesting concepts when people first talked about it lots of years ago.

Time has passed, computer usage and needs have changed... and now both of them suck tbh. If it wasn't for Unity, which I think is great, I would have given up on desktop Linux entirely.

Comment

Let's add Android, ChromeOS, Moblin and Unity to the schisms

Let's add Android, ChromeOS, Moblin and Unity to the schisms. All of these are corporate-sponsored. The fact that the corporate entities don't work together to build a single product shows that they don't care about the long-term viability of the software. For the hardware manufacturers (Google and Intel), the software can go to *ell after they've sold devices containing it. In fact, I'm sure some higher ups see the the lack of cross-pollination as a good thing, since they get to keep improvements to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              whilst no one being realy serious can say that Gnome is better than KDE.
              I'll say it, here and now. Gnome *is* better than KDE, from my experience. Others may have their own opinions, but I personally find Gnome (both 2, and now 3) much more usable than KDE.

Comment

oh this takes me back in time... 2007 to be exact: http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/09/q...tk-impact.html

*yawns*

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Why it's insulting? I don't want KDE to go the same way as Gnome, something wrong with that? Reading some of his responses makes me wonder in what world is he living?
                  I think you're reading that quote out of context - I think he's actually saying the same thing as you, complaining about people who argue "this isn't Gnome" as a reason why their requested feature should be added to KDE. Much of that blog post amounts to "developers are mature adults; please act like one when dealing with them", with a distinct dislike of users who act as if entitled to make demands.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    I'll say it, here and now. Gnome *is* better than KDE, from my experience.
                    Based on what workflow/feature/technology/efficiency/whatever do you claim that it is better? What is so fundamentaly 'better' about Gnome that makes it any better from a certain angle than XFCE?

Oh yeah, that's right; even XFCE 4.8 beats the shit out of speed, features and workflow.

Could you please tell me what part of Gnome 3 actually still resembles a DESKTOP environment?

Comment

Man, I keep seeing people complain about DESKTOP environments....

The reason some Linux Desktop Environments are less focused on pure desktop functionality is because... THEY ARE BEING MADE FOR USERS, NOT DEVELOPERS. And users are going over to a more touch based interface, smaller and more portable devices.

If Windows 8 X86/64 Tablets do arrive (which I believe will be quite interesting) then Unity/Gnome-Shell/KDE or whatever, will find MORE Touch Devices, and even less new desktops for them to be used on. ALso, ARM Tablets will run Win8, and Linux makers/Distros might want to be able to run on them as well.

There are many USERS (Ie consumers, not dev's or Multimedia proff's) who have stopped buying new PC's as often, because many of them are quite happy with their iPad x's or the android tablets or WebOS or whatever (though mainly iPads ATM). So for software focusing on consumers, with limited developer resources, the more customizable and advanced interface is being treated second best to more touch intuitive interfaces for other devices.

Anyway shoot down this post as you want xD
                      Last edited by zeealpal; 27 September 2011, 09:17 PM. Reason: Bad grammer

Comment

Working...
                      X