Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Drops Linux Desktop Support For AIR

Phoronix: Adobe Drops Linux Desktop Support For AIR

Adobe doesn't see "the year of the Linux desktop" happening, so they've decided to kill off the Linux desktop client for their AIR run-time. Adobe AIR 2.7 was recently released for creating rich Internet applications, but the Linux desktop client wasn't updated. This wasn't an oversight or delay in development, but Adobe is dropping the Linux desktop client so they can focus on mobile platforms such as Android and Apple iOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Won't be surprised if flash player follows the same fate.

Comment

It wont be an surprise!! but it wont be a problem, they slowly are lossing the train (HTML5, WEBM, VP8, DIVx Web).

Comment

Can't say I like AIR. In fact, I really don't like it much at all. Still a shame though.

Comment

Good

I am Enterprise programmer and never ever heard about "Adobe AIR". Except now, that it was canceled. Is there anything in AIR that we don't have in standard tools, like Java, HTML5?

Comment

I'm not sure I ever used AIR, can anyone point to something based on AIR that desktop users use?
            I only care about the flash player being there for Linux, since HTML5 video is not nearly good enough, youtube's html5 player still sucks big time and I don't know why.

Comment

I think League of Legends uses air for the interface or at least in some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Won't be surprised if flash player follows the same fate.
                Actually expect the Flash Player to get much better in the future thanks to Chrome OS. VA-API and Composite acceleration are among the first for 10.4/11.0.

Re: AIR, I only know about one Adobe AIR application and that is... the official ICQ client for Linux, which released the first beta version just few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Actually expect the Flash Player to get much better in the future thanks to Chrome OS. VA-API and Composite acceleration are among the first for 10.4/11.0.

Re: AIR, I only know about one Adobe AIR application and that is... the official ICQ client for Linux, which released the first beta version just few weeks ago.
                  When it comes to Adobe support outside of windows I'll take the "I'll believe it when I see it." approach.

Comment

maybe html5 player sucks so much, because there is this crappy flash blob from adobe for linux. I boykott it, one alternative for youtube is minitube a free gpl desktop-flash-player.

Yes I hope in the eyes of adobe Linux will never be ready for (commercial) Desktop.

Whats the point to make windows out of linux. Why then not using windows.

Keep away your stupid binary blobs from linux.

if they would offer some gpl stuff, be my guest. for pdf you dont need the adobe crap just use the free tools like evience. And for flash there are alternativs too, but I agree that works only for standard desktop stuff (not if you want to use special software or hardcore gaming) the biggest problem right now is the shit flashblob.

But there is also an alterntive availible here ubuntu and co fail to get them easy installable. I mean Lightspark, they should just make that the default. But they piss on free software and likes that proprietary unstable blobs.
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 15 June 2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X