Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.0-rc2 Kernel Is A Quiet Release

Phoronix: Linux 3.0-rc2 Kernel Is A Quiet Release

The second -rc release for the Linux 3.0 kernel is rather quiet and not too exciting. Linus pushed out this new kernel release in the early hours of the morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job to all involved. No noise is good news as far as rc's are concerned.

Comment

Could be some noise about power regressions though

Comment

BTRFS improvement and fix, great!

Comment

I'm seeing an oddity: there's no .tar.bz2 release of -rc2; the .tar.gz release is only (!) 15 MB (whereas -rc1 is 92 MB gzipped); and the main kernel.org page doesn't have any downloads for -rc2 (understandably, since they don't seem to exist / seem to be messed up).

A quiet release is cool, but I don't think they removed over 75 MB (gzipped) of code. There has to be an administrative error.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            A quiet release is cool, but I don't think they removed over 75 MB (gzipped) of code. There has to be an administrative error.
            Could be that the version change screwed up their scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
              Could be that the version change screwed up their scripts.
              -rc1 looks fine though.

Eh, anyway, I ended up pulling it from git and doing the build that way. Lot of extra data (all the history) but I should actually end up pulling less data in the long run, since I'll just be grabbing packed diffs as I need them.

Be my luck that they decide to trash the linux-2.6 repo once 3.0 is out, and I'll have to re-pull from a new origin. Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                I'm seeing an oddity: there's no .tar.bz2 release of -rc2; the .tar.gz release is only (!) 15 MB (whereas -rc1 is 92 MB gzipped); and the main kernel.org page doesn't have any downloads for -rc2 (understandably, since they don't seem to exist / seem to be messed up).

Linus had some connectivity issues :

I'm still traveling (will be home tomorrow, for some definition of
                "tomorrow"), and it appears that there's probably some throttling or
                other going on with the hotel internet. So the git tree is fine, but
                the tar-ball isn't going out.

I'll try to at least get the patch out.

Comment

Working...
                X