Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer Is Getting Closer To Version 1.0 Too

Phoronix: MPlayer Is Getting Closer To Version 1.0 Too

Version 1.0 of the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries was released just hours ago after being in development for a long while. It surprised a number of people that EFL finally hit version 1.0, but here's another surprise: MPlayer is getting closer to version 1.0 too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"1.0" really means nothing to the MPlayer dev team. It's just a number. The 1.0 release is for people like you (Michael) who think 1.0 is somehow magical and don't know that some teams like to count from 0, not from 1.

MPlayer has been stable for years. It's not the "1.0" that will make it so.

Comment

It all makes sense now

It all makes sense and the Mayans were right. Guns n Roses actually release Chinese Democracy. Duke Nukem Forever gets a firm release date. The Enlightenment libraries get a 1.0 release. Ke$ha is somehow insanely popular and successful. These are clearly all signs of the coming apocalypse. MPlayer will obviously reach the 1.0 "stable" release on December 21st 2012, probably along with HURD too.

Well nothing left to do but start up a doomsday cult. Of course I'll make myself the leader so I get to have sex with all the female members before we all drink the Kool Aid, ditch our physical husks which are shackling us, release our energy forms, and hitch a ride with some aliens on a comet, or whatever.

Comment

plus other upcoming breakthroughs like Valve's Steam / Source Engine for Linux,
        My suspicion is that it will be released in conjunction with or in close proximity to the release date of Portal 2. The date is actually near the anniversary of the Mac client release.

Comment

At this pace the final release will certainly make it out before 2020!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            "1.0" really means nothing to the MPlayer dev team. It's just a number. The 1.0 release is for people like you (Michael) who think 1.0 is somehow magical and don't know that some teams like to count from 0, not from 1.

MPlayer has been stable for years. It's not the "1.0" that will make it so.
            Well yes and no, while mplayer has proven to be stable in most situations it is still their development crew marking the releases as a "Release Candidate".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Well yes and no, while mplayer has proven to be stable in most situations it is still their development crew marking the releases as a "Release Candidate".
              That's because they're stuck in 2003 where only geeks use Linux and everyone accepted using betas and CVS as the norm. Realistically, MPlayer CVS has been faster and more stable than xine and VLC for years now. they should be at version 1.7 at the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                That's because they're stuck in 2003 where only geeks use Linux and everyone accepted using betas and CVS as the norm. Realistically, MPlayer CVS has been faster and more stable than xine and VLC for years now. they should be at version 1.7 at the least.
                I don't know about mplayer being more stable then xine-lib or vlc In fact I've always found it to be the opposite. That is just personal experience though. I'm not a big fan of vlc either but it does seem to have more flexibility then the others. My personal preference has been actually xbmc which seems to be more stable then all the above.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  I don't know about mplayer being more stable then xine-lib or vlc In fact I've always found it to be the opposite. That is just personal experience though. I'm not a big fan of vlc either but it does seem to have more flexibility then the others. My personal preference has been actually xbmc which seems to be more stable then all the above.
                  Interesting. I' tried VLC from 0.9 to a few 1.x releases and I always ended up going to either gmplayer or smpalyer. VLC was always far less responsive when I skip around videos and it crashed considerably more. The part that pissed me off was when I rebooted and tried the same video and same VLC version in Windows it would perform 3X better. I guess YMMV.

As far as xine... well xine just flat out stole a ton of features from MPlayer. The old maintainer used to constantly post complaints on the homepage about things xine "implemented". After he quit a few years ago (out of frustration) most of his rants were removed from the website. MPlayer always supported more formats even when using the same .dll's as xine.

Comment

MPlayer devs always recommend pulling from their SVN. They mentioned in the past that they consider formal releases as a way to make distros happy. They made the "rc" releases because the distros wouldn't use a recent SVN snapshot, shipping hopelessly outdated versions instead. Most distros have clueless packagers who will not pull sources from SVN even at the recommendation of the devs. So they simply pulled from SVN, named the tarball "rc" and went "here you go noob." That "rc" tarball was much better than an SVN pull because it had "rc" in its name even though it was just an SVN pull...

Go figure

Comment

Working...
                    X