Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel's Ambitious Plans For Mono, Moonlight

Phoronix: Miguel's Ambitious Plans For Mono, Moonlight

Miguel de Icaza has put out a new blog post last night detailing what he and his team at Novell are "cooking" for future versions of their Mono software platform. Some items, like Mono GPU acceleration, are already known, but some of the other items are quite interesting on this long TODO list of new items to be presented within Mono and Moonlight (the Mono-based Microsoft Silverlight implementation for Linux) over the next few months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really don't understand why Novell is burning money on this stuff. Reimplementing .Net for Linux costs a LOT of money and developer time, and there is not a single indication that the community cares in the least. 6 years later and what do we have? Banshee.

Do they deliver some high-end solutions based on Mono or something? Plan to attack Oracle with an alternative Java implementation? Is there a point to all this?

Comment

Well at least the marketing dept is paid well. Every feature comes as a buzzword.

Comment

Netflix

And yet, we still don't have DRM to play Netflix. Nice move Microshaft.

Comment

Die Mono, die!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            I really don't understand why Novell is burning money on this stuff. Reimplementing .Net for Linux costs a LOT of money and developer time, and there is not a single indication that the community cares in the least. 6 years later and what do we have? Banshee.

Do they deliver some high-end solutions based on Mono or something? Plan to attack Oracle with an alternative Java implementation? Is there a point to all this?
            MonoTouch e.g. is providing an income for them and the upcoming Mono Android product is likely also turn a coin for them.

Aside that they are using Mono for many of their internal and external projects. There is a community of developers using it for Linux and specifically GNOME applications. Tomboy e.g. is a GNOME core component and is written using Mono.

Mono is making them money, and it is making their jobs easier by providing. That is why they do it, and to give everyone better tools of course. It is an investment and they are seeing a return from it, so are we.

Comment

Originally posted by williamthrilliam View Post
              And yet, we still don't have DRM to play Netflix. Nice move Microshaft.
              That really is NetFlix being the problem. If you want to use NetFlix on Linux simply tell them that you will subscribe if they lean on Microsoft as a large client of theirs to push for Linux support to be a priority. That way you are much more likely to gain access to the content. And when you pledge support, if they follow through, so do you. Re-enforce that when they do something you like, you reward them, with money, your money.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNielsen View Post
                Tomboy e.g. is a GNOME core component and is written using Mono.
                That's not a very convincing argument.

Banshee, F-Spot and Tomboy are the only Mono-using OSS applications with any usage, and two of them have been more or less deprecated by distros.

That leaves Banshee for people who refuse to use Amarok and Rhythmbox.

You're probably right, and Novell is having some use from that, and they probably feel safer being in bed with Microsoft than being in bed with Oracle.

Still, they could have used Python and saved a few million $$$. It probably owes its prolonged existence to Miguel's very high position within Novell. If he ever leaves, I expect Mono to be abandoned overnight.

Comment

That really is NetFlix being the problem. If you want to use NetFlix on Linux simply tell them that you will subscribe if they lean on Microsoft as a large client of theirs to push for Linux support to be a priority. That way you are much more likely to gain access to the content. And when you pledge support, if they follow through, so do you. Re-enforce that when they do something you like, you reward them, with money, your money.
                  This is the whole fucking point;

You are implementing Microsoft's technology, using the argument that it's an open standard.

So why do you need Netflix to "lean on Microsoft" to force them to do this and that? It's an open standard, isn't it?

That's what you get for implementing MS standards. You implement everything and in the end nothing works, and you have a patent lawsuit looming. Good job.

Comment

Yeah, I did that 2 years ago with no response . I finally caved and got netflix with a blu-ray player. I would really enjoy playing netflix with XBMC though; that would be my ultimate setup.

I scrolled through the forums over at http://mono-project.com/Community and found posts that talked about implementing DRM, but the only thing holding them back was Microshaft. Really, if they could just make it modular, so I could install moonlight and then go over to microshaft and download and installt the DRM component I would be happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X