The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    there is some drama... eh discussion in the mailing list and people (including Torvalds) referred to the phoronix forums
    Hi Linus! Can you please arrange with an unofficial kernel repo for Fedora? Det vore verkligen j?ttesn?llt :-)

Comment

How do I get it to work?

I'm a noob (at least compared to most phoronix readers), I *really* need this patch on my computer, I'm not crying for a ppa, but need a clue as to how to go about this with the command line.

I'll follow

which was recommended earlier in this thread, but where do I get the patch, & where/how should I apply it given I follow those instructions? Please give me a command line code to copy/paste, & tell me when to use it. Then I'll have an idea of how to patch kernels.
      (I'm using Ubuntu UNR 10.10, the article is for 10.04, but I doubt it's materially different).

Noobish thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by alazyworkaholic View Post
        I'm a noob (at least compared to most phoronix readers), I *really* need this patch on my computer, I'm not crying for a ppa, but need a clue as to how to go about this with the command line.

I'll follow

which was recommended earlier in this thread, but where do I get the patch, & where/how should I apply it given I follow those instructions? Please give me a command line code to copy/paste, & tell me when to use it. Then I'll have an idea of how to patch kernels.
        (I'm using Ubuntu UNR 10.10, the article is for 10.04, but I doubt it's materially different).

Noobish thanks,
        It's the same for 10.10.
        You apply the patch (before running make-kpkg) using:
        Code:
        patch -p1 < patch-file-name-here
        However the patch from the mailing list won't work with the ubuntu kernel, because some things have been moved to different places, so you have to change those manually (no big deal, only around 3 lines of code if I remember correctly)

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
          Hi Linus! Can you please arrange with an unofficial kernel repo for Fedora? Det vore verkligen j?ttesn?llt :-)
          Hmm should i be concerned that I understood that?!

Comment

PS: Don't forget to turn on the CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP setting, which is of course the whole point of this patch.

... damn 1min edit limit

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
              However the patch from the mailing list won't work with the ubuntu kernel, because some things have been moved to different places, so you have to change those manually (no big deal, only around 3 lines of code if I remember correctly)
              Where/how can I find out which lines to move & where to move them?

And how do I turn it on?

Thanks unimatrix

Comment

it will create a file containing the rejected hunks

you can turn it on by editing the .config file changing the line

CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP to y

Comment

Apply the patch. It's going to tell you where it failed, then look into the patch file and use it to find where the lines starting with a + belong (not all, only those that fail) and copy them to the appropriate files.

To enable the patch setting you just need to press 'y' when u run make-kpkg the first time, because it's going to ask you what to do with it.

Also forgot to mention, you should apply this patch as well:
                  Binary package hint: linux-source-2.6.32 In ubuntu/omnibook/Makefile Line 161: EXTRA_LDFLAGS += $(PWD)/ubuntu/omnibook/sections.lds But if we call kernel build remotely, PWD is "" which gives us an error: ld: /ubuntu/omnibook/sections.lds: No such file: No such file or directory because it's set only when directly called. Solution is to move line where PWD is set (PWD = $(shell pwd)) out of "ifeq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)" so it's set with both direct and remote calls.

My compile failed due to this the first time.

Comment

ah this patch just fails to compile...i tried compiling with the default fedora config too, and its still giving me this error:
                    kernel/built-in.o: In function `put_signal_struct':
                    /home/zephyrus/Compile/kernel/kernel/kernel/fork.c:178: undefined reference to `sched_autogroup_exit'
                    kernel/built-in.o: In function `copy_signal':
                    /home/zephyrus/Compile/kernel/kernel/kernel/fork.c:909: undefined reference to `sched_autogroup_fork'
                    kernel/built-in.o.data+0x1b58): undefined reference to `sysctl_sched_autogroup_enabled'
                    drivers/built-in.o: In function `__proc_set_tty':
                    /home/zephyrus/Compile/kernel/kernel/drivers/tty/tty_io.c:3163: undefined reference to `sched_autogroup_create_attach'
                    any idea?

Comment

The patch probly isn't being applied properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X