Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg's VP8 Decoder Blasts Google's Decoder

Phoronix: FFmpeg's VP8 Decoder Blasts Google's Decoder

It was just back in May that Google opened up the VP8 video format that they got their hands on through the acquisition of On2 and at the same time they created the WebM container format. VP8 has already received a lot of love by the open-source community -- both developers and end-users -- and support for it has already worked its way into FFmpeg, GStreamer, and other multimedia projects. Google released the libvpx library as their official VP8 decoder library, but now the FFmpeg developers have created their own decoder and it's shockingly faster than that of Google's own open-source library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what's the performance of libvpx compared to ffvpx on P4 32bit and simmilar machines (32bit, only one core (or HT) and high CPU clock (3GHz).

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
      I wonder what's the performance of libvpx compared to ffvpx on P4 32bit and simmilar machines (32bit, only one core (or HT) and high CPU clock (3GHz).
      I'm sure it'll do quite well even on a uniprocessor (or hyperthreading) P4 if the ffvp8 library is compiled with the right compiler flags.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        I'm sure it'll do quite well even on a uniprocessor (or hyperthreading) P4 if the ffvp8 library is compiled with the right compiler flags.
        Yep, FFmpeg devs tend to make sure that things work well on all numbers of cores. so far as to say that any change for multi-core systems should not degrade single core performance. At least for h264, I would expect the same treatment for webM/vp8

Comment

It is said to do 26fps with 1080p even on the Intel Atom which is excellent.

Comment

I'd love to be able to watch quality 1080p content even on my aging Thinkpad T42

Comment

Well did you see that the bitrate is only 4.5 mbit for those videos? Of course it is 1080p, but what matters is the bitrate. Well youtube will most likely not use much more, so it should be possible to decode it. But html5 still misses a good full screen playback.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well did you see that the bitrate is only 4.5 mbit for those videos? Of course it is 1080p, but what matters is the bitrate. Well youtube will most likely not use much more, so it should be possible to decode it. But html5 still misses a good full screen playback.
                I'm sure that shortcoming will be fixed eventually once VP8 encoded video hits the mainstream

Comment

Hopefully it won't take too long before graphic chipset producers add VP8 decoding support to their GPUs.

I'd really like to see how much VP8 differs from H.264 in file size and quality for 720p and 1080p videos.

Comment

That blog post has something ive wanted to see in benchmarks for a loooong long time: standard deviation. Without it you can never tell if x was slightly faster than y in z test...

Comment

Working...
                    X