Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireBurn
    replied
    Did you just use a the 3 kernels and kept the same 32bit user space or did the 64 bit kernel use 64bit user space?

If the latter do you know what Ubuntu compiles it's 32bit user space as? If memory serves I think ubuntu are using i486 on 32bit user space where as the 64bit user space will be using sse2 as default which could explain some of the differences

Would it be possible to try the same test again using Gentoo or Arch (or another distro that uses i686 as default)

Cheers

Mike

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Benchmarks

Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Benchmarks

Coming up in our forums was a testing request to compare the performance of Linux between using 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, and 64-bit kernels. This is coming after Linus Torvalds has spoke of 25% performance differences between kernels using CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G and those without this option that allows 32-bit builds to address up to 4GB of physical RAM on a system. We decided to compare the performance of the 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, and 64-bit kernels on a modern desktop system and here are the results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X