systemd 256-rc2 Released With A Few More Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

If your userspace doesn't strictly need a libc, you can omit one (typically, Rust).
    Rust statically links libc to binaries

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post

Rust statically links libc to binaries
      Not quite. From a StackOverflow answer
      if you use the standard library, it will dynamically link to the system's libc implementation. If you'd like a 100% static binary, the MUSL libc can be used on Linux: rustup target add x86_64-unknown-linux-musl
      There are fascinating projects to write stdlib implementation in Rust that directly make system calls instead of calling libc functions – "Rewrite it in Rust" within Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by skierpage View Post
        Not quite. From a StackOverflow answer

There are fascinating projects to write stdlib implementation in Rust that directly make system calls instead of calling libc functions – "Rewrite it in Rust" within Rust.
        Ah, yeah lol. I read about it and got it backwards. It's also easy to check by using by using ldd or strace.

Curiously, it also links dinamically to libgcc_s.so

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post
          Curiously, it also links dinamically to libgcc_s.so
          That's for unwinding support (and generating backtraces?). There was talk of using something else, years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

btw if you use crypttab, how are your drives unlocker? systemd-crypttab-generator by any chance?
            Root partition requires a manual passphrase to decrypt. Other drives, such as home and backups, have keys stored in root that crypttab mounts via key and fstab mounts to the file system. I've tried other means for fun, like embedding the key in the initfs, before TPM, and USB keys. Prefer it something you know versus something you posses. All other drive keys are a cascade of something that is known.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

And why precisely are you telling me what to do instead?
              Finger miss-typed. Should be Using instead of Use.

I also forgot that journald and coredumpctl are both systemd based.

Comment

Working...
              X