No announcement yet.

Zstd Compression For EROFS Published: Better Than LZ4 But Higher CPU Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't EROFS a read-only filesysrem? I think you wouldn't get a better choice out of current compression algorithms than LZ4_HC. It has a great ratio and great decompress and the only expense is paid up front during writes. It sacrifices only write speed and can compete with ZSTD on ratios.

So it has ratios like ZSTD and read speeds like LZ4. I cannot fathom something more appropriate than that.
    Last edited by Mitch; 08 May 2024, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Finally, ZSTD is one of the things we have been waiting for Bliss. ZSTD has much greater compression the LZ4. This will help a bit. Bye Bye squashfs

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        Also, this way I don't have to live in disgust with myself for having integrated something that bears Zuck symbology.
        You know, right, that LZ4 and Zstd were developed (and are maintained) by the same person, Yann Collet?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Imagine if instead of all file systems independently implementing Zstd and LZ4 support that all file systems could just use whatever compression algorithm was present in the kernel.
          That's kind of what red hat's VDO does. In a way it's neat and in another way it makes some design decisions that might not be ideal, it's probably not flexible enough in its current state but IMO it has potential. tl;dr it's a man in the middle between a block device and a file system that can do compression and dedupe: https://access.redhat.com/documentat...do-quick-start

Comment

Originally posted by geerge View Post

That's kind of what red hat's VDO does. In a way it's neat and in another way it makes some design decisions that might not be ideal, it's probably not flexible enough in its current state but IMO it has potential. tl;dr it's a man in the middle between a block device and a file system that can do compression and dedupe: https://access.redhat.com/documentat...do-quick-start
            Fair assessment. That sums up how I feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
              Isn't EROFS a read-only filesysrem? I think you wouldn't get a better choice out of current compression algorithms than LZ4_HC. It has a great ratio and great decompress and the only expense is paid up front during writes. It sacrifices only write speed and can compete with ZSTD on ratios.

So it has ratios like ZSTD and read speeds like LZ4. I cannot fathom something more appropriate than that.
              EROFS can already use LZ4HC compressors.

in mkfs.erofs usage

Code:
              Available compressors are: lz4, lz4hc, lzma, deflate
              The current problem is EROFS is only using single thread for compression.

Comment

Originally posted by billli11 View Post

EROFS can already use LZ4HC compressors.

in mkfs.erofs usage

Code:
                Available compressors are: lz4, lz4hc, lzma, deflate
                The current problem is EROFS is only using single thread for compression.
                That is frustrating. But how often would this read-only filesysrem be (re)written to in most cases? Monthly?

I can see a dilemma if system operations take way too long or time out. LZ4HC has very slow writes so that seems possible. It just seems worth it in my view unless that slow write speed is adding up somewhere.

Comment

Can anyone confirm this? I used following commands to de/compress
                  Code:
                  lz4 --favor-decSpeed --fast=5 --no-frame-crc Spielstände.tar Spielstände.tar.5.lz4
                  time lz4 -d -q --no-frame-crc Spielstände.tar.5.lz4
                  zstd --fast=5 --auto-threads=logical -T0 --no-check Spielstände.tar -o Spielstände.tar.5.zst
                  time zstd -d -q --no-check Spielstände.tar.5.zst
                  and got those results:
                  --fast= lz4 size lz4 time zstd size zstd time
                  1 3390570729 4,031s 3210706973 2,805s
                  2 3402277093 3,733s 3241491349 2,669s
                  5 3444741865 3,729s 3357375821 2,918s
                  50 3847588242 3,718s 4042849004 2,807s
                  Original file was 4926167040 and time cp needed 3,929s.
                  LZ4 command line interface 64-bits v1.9.4
                  Zstandard CLI (64-bit) v1.5.5
                  Ryzen 7 5700G

Even if you compare same size (lz4 --fast=1 and zstd --fast=5) zstd was clearly ahead. So I'm wondering in which cases lz4 is still faster?

Edit: also zstd was faster on compression time
                  Last edited by Anux; 08 May 2024, 03:40 PM. Reason: original file size was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Can anyone confirm this?
                    You may be comparing apples to oranges here. lz4 has a lower compression ratio, and in your test the output size is nearly identical, meaning that you are compressing at different points in the efficiency curve for both compressors. At the sweet spot, lz4 should be 2-4 times faster and produce marginally larger output.

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                    You know, right, that LZ4 and Zstd were developed (and are maintained) by the same person, Yann Collet?
                    So I am supposed to dislike the guy cuz he was hired by a another lousy guy to be exploited by his lousy company?

My ethical problem was clearly stated to be on the Zuck side of things.​ And if it was good enough, I'd probably reluctantly use it. Just glad that's not the case

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                      You may be comparing apples to oranges here. lz4 has a lower compression ratio, and in your test the output size is nearly identical, meaning that you are compressing at different points in the efficiency curve for both compressors. At the sweet spot, lz4 should be 2-4 times faster and produce marginally larger output.
                      Where would that sweet spot be? I did a short test with standard levels (left --fast away):
                      lz4 3380743287 3,803s
                      zstd 3105589209 2,954s
                      Also the low anchor with lz4 --best (and of course --favor-decSpeed --no-frame-crc as always):
                      lz4 3247279715 3,575s

Which in turn means zstd is faster and compresses better. And I checked single threaded zstd decompression (-d -T1), no change. I won't deny that there might be edge cases (another data set?) where lz4 is faster, but clearly not in general anymore.

Edit: best case throughput:
                      lz4 1314 MB/s
                      zstd 1760 MB/s
                      Considering others state 4000 MB/s for lz4, my test might be flawed but my read/write speed seamed to be the limit here:
                      cp 1195 MB/s
                      cp of lz4 --best file: 1408 MB/s
                      dd to dev/null 2000 MB/s
                      dd bypassing LUKS 2500 MB/s

Puzzling, I thought disk cache should take care of everything, might need to repeat with a RAM disk.

Edit2:
                      best case throughput in RAM disk
                      lz4 1999 MB/s
                      zstd 2642 MB/s
                      Last edited by Anux; 08 May 2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X