Audacity 3.5 Brings Cloud Project Saving, Improved BSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
    When Ardour exists, how can this thing be enticing ?

PS: time to revamp the UI, it's seriously dated (to be polite).
    Ardour and Audacity cater to two separate markets. That's like asking why McDonalds exists when 3 star michelin restaurants also exist. Audacity is so, so much simpler than Ardour and makes it extremely easy to do basic audio related tasks, such as recording and editing a podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      I wonder how long they will stay with wxWidgets...
      Until they move to Qt on version 4.0, which can't come soon enough as wxWidgets is awful and certainly in Audacity.

Audio Editor . Contribute to audacity/audacity development by creating an account on GitHub.

Expect it sometime around the release of GIMP 3.0.

Comment

On twitter you find some screenshots and videos from Tantacrul the lead in design for MuseScore and Audacity. Personally, I really like it. It's still recognizable Audacity but looks more modern.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

This is the way it looks on my computer using the appimage as well.
          Right, I think the AppImage is broken. Probably what Michael is using too.

So for traditional (i.e standard) installed software, things tend to integrate and not work in isolation. For better or for worse, this means that software can share existing themes and fonts with the system and look "correct".

Even a GUI technology as beautiful as Motif can look bad if it is missing access to the global app-defaults directory.

For example some people think Xpdf with Motif looks like this, when in actual fact it err... looks like this.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 23 April 2024, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            wxWidgets doesn't even wrap like Qt all that well. Even on Qt-based desktops with the wrapper, it still looks like, feels like and behaves like a GTK 2/3 app.
            Last I checked, the wxQt backend was basically abandoned and all distros were packaging wxGTK regardless of desktop.

That said, I think I did hear rumblings about reviving wxQt late in the GTK 3 era when it became clear that GTK 4 was going to double down on implicitly deprecating non-GNOME use through neglect.

Comment

For all people here commenting about how awful Audacity looks, have a look at Tenacity.
              This is the result of three seperate Audacity forks that eventually merged their efforts and is constantly evolving to become a more modern successor of Audacity.
              Since I discovered it and started using it, I never looked back at Audacity.
              More info: https://tenacityaudio.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Beach View Post
                What happened to the telemetry controversy?
                Did they revert it in the end or did they keep it?
                While they did fix the worst parts of their proposed privacy policy, AFAIK official builds from their website still contain (optional) telemetry, and they do require signing a CLA to contribute. They burned a lot of bridges with the community, and that will have an impact for years to come. I use Tenacity myself nowadays, though TBF I don't use either very often anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Audacity and its forks are one of two major software (second being OBS) that I have never been able to successfully compile on Linux for years. The last time I successfully built Audacity on Linux was v3.0

To the point where I now permanently maintain a Windows system just to build and run Audacity and OBS from source.
                  Is it really that much faster, that by the time it takes you to build from source, you could have been using the program with somewhat less performance? What is the point, that you'd run Windows just to do this?

It also shows Linux still has massive issues with dependecies and softwsre versioning.

Has anyone tried changing audacity playbacl speed? Might offer a new ecperience on an old favorite. The pitch will drop, but it will play just as smoothly, unlike both change tempo, and change pitch.

I guess you could try to double the pitch, then play it back at slower speeds, but I haven't tried that, not sure how the pitch would affect original sound quality. If it is identical, might be worth it to try slower speeds if you can't overlook, or even enjoy the pitch change.

Trying to match pitch, on the fly, with timestretch ruins audio quality of bass kicks, drums, guitats, and gives the music a choppy sound.

VLC also allows slowing down along with pitch to avoid the choppy sound of timestretch. Turn it off in either audio or if on mobile advanced. I'd like to help provide feedback to vlc team for improving the way the slider looks and functions, and add a special setting for saving multiple custom speed presets for each song.

Bookmarks save progress time in a song or video, it could be redesigned to pull in the current playback speed, and save that.
                  Last edited by sunlight; 30 April 2024, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I'd also like to add that if you think changing playback speed is dumb, then go look at youtube, type in a very popular hiphop song from the 90s and add

Chopped n screwed

or a new big added title is

slowed + reverb (for some reason)

There are a lot of videos wirh over 1,000,000 views, so clearly there is a huge demand for slowing down musoc in this way (without pitch matching nasty timestretch effect) and these people really need to know that VLC has this incredibly rare feature to disable it!

So, how do I reach all those youtube users? It will surely take a couple years to reach most of them, bit ifI can convince at least a hundred or so to spread the word, and so on, maybe it will start taking off, and vlc will be known for music slow down!

Then, with the demand for this feature and hopefully its improvement, vlc devs can be convinced to help update it and fix its bugs. And maybe add in per-song speed presets!

Comment

Working...
                    X