Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    Does kde6 uses that directory as well
    KDE applications have been using this spec for ages.

I think the KDE 3 era was the last one that used a ~/.kde directory as a base for all KDE software.

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    do they still have crapload of their dotfiles in the home directory
    Not since very early times, if at all.

Prior to the XDG spec KDE software put their files into $KDEHOME, usually ~/.kde or ~/.kde$version

Comment

I haven't studied the specifications so I'll have to learn more. Do you offhand have suggestions to learn how to migrate things (existing installed apps with their directories / files) between the "default" ~/whateverapp/..., ~/.config/... ~/.cache/... or whatever to a user preferred value wrt. storage locations conveyed by starting to make use of these related env vars?

Or for that matter dealing correctly / gracefully with migrations between computers / OS installs, syncing multiple desktops for the same user, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

I think the KDE 3 era was the last one that used a ~/.kde directory as a base for all KDE software.
        I do kind of miss that system since if you had some issue with kde you just: mv .kde3 .kde3-old and and start it up again with all default settings.

I wouldn't know how to do that now, not that I've needed to but I also don't know how much old cruft I have scattered around..

Comment

Originally posted by writequit View Post
          I do kind of miss that system since if you had some issue with kde you just: mv .kde3 .kde3-old and and start it up again with all default settings.
          The problem with this was that it affected too many things at once.
          Not just the desktop but also a lot of applications if they had been produced by KDE.

So in any case one would need a product folder inside such a vendor folder to make such operations more contained.

This can still be done in the XDG dir setup.

From a quick check on my system this seems to be the case in XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_CACHE_HOME but not as consistently in XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Not since very early times, if at all.

Prior to the XDG spec KDE software put their files into $KDEHOME, usually ~/.kde or ~/.kde$version
            KDE 4 also used KDEHOME still. They stopped using that after the move to qt5 so since "kde 5"

Comment

Good!

Comment

Originally posted by hsci View Post
                I delete the directories I don't use (e.g. "Desktop" which is of no use with GNOME) and rename all others to lowercase characters only. The later is just just for convenience (visual) and follow the convention (e.g. sorting) on Linux.
                Rather than constantly deleting 'Desktop', 'Downloads', ... the always reappearing directories, I just create lowercase same directory name symlinks.
                $ ln -s $HOME/Desktop $HOME/desktop
                $ ln -s $HOME/Downloads $HOME/downloads

... and so on. Then just further go-on ignoring the Microsoft wannabe crowd.
                Last edited by rogerx; 24 April 2024, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Hey, why not just push all configurations to one file?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                    Rather than constantly deleting 'Desktop', 'Downloads', ... the always reappearing directories, I just create lowercase same directory name symlinks.
                    Alternatively you could have configured your preferences in /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post

... and so on. Then just further go-on ignoring the Microsoft wannabe crowd.
                      I just edited the settings in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and got on with my life but, if you really want to delete them, rather than just redirecting where application open/save presets and Flatpak sandboxing presets like xdg-download look, open /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf and set enabled=False.
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 25 April 2024, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X