Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.10 To Merge NTSYNC Driver For Emulating Windows NT Synchronization Primitives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    As you go to run these retro games you run into the follow problem. Steam client only support Windows 10 or newer on windows you need the steam client to download the game and the game without messing about due to some changed API will not run under Windows 10.

Yes it coming the reality you wish to run these older titles you will be installing Linux because Linux has the legacy windows API support the games and OS modern enough that steam client is happy. Yes fun steam client not working on the OS the game that is steam store needs.
    Now we just need Steam on Win10 to start hooking into WSL to use Wine to provide that compatibility...
    Jokes aside, I do wonder how feasible that would actually be.

Comment

They've been testing this with The Crew. A game which is online-only, the servers were switched off and Ubisoft is (allegedly) removing the game from users accounts without their permission.

I would say I'd be less upset about that if Ubisoft gave some store credit or something to compensate, but I got The Crew on sale for near pennies, played it to death and forgot about it. My urge to play it has only returned once I saw I couldn't... such is.

Comment

I got the crew for very cheap. Incredibly unstable game for me.

Comment

Nice, another performance barrier resolved.
          Tbh in my experience, most games run even better on Proton than on windows native today!
          I get a lot less micro stutters on Proton, probably due to async shader compilation or pre compiled shaders.

One game where I particularly noticed this was ready or not. On windows, when I load into a map and turn the view I get a lot of micro stutters at first, as if the I/O to load the models and textures and compile the shaders is synchronous.. on Proton it's butter smooth all the time!

Comment

Ah, The Crew... that rings a bell...

Campaign video to stop games from being destroyed! It's being done in a few ways, owners of the game "The Crew" can help especially. There are more worldwi...

Comment

Originally posted by WolfSkin View Post
              Now we just need Steam on Win10 to start hooking into WSL to use Wine to provide that compatibility...
              Jokes aside, I do wonder how feasible that would actually be.
              I was looking around in the Turn Windows features on or off and I found a Windows feature called "Windows Subsystem for Linux" I selected that feature and Vi...

Completely feasible if Valve ever wanted to-do it. Of course there is going to be issues that Microsoft build of Linux kenrel WSL2 uses has 16 bit protected mode disabled so no really old win16 applications. Yes age of WSL2 kernel is going to be a issue as well.

Of course there is going to be a performance cost of this route.

Yes it would kind of be a wacky world where Valve is installing proton under WSL2 because of Microsoft backwards compatibility being too incomplete but this is a real possibility to happen in future..

Comment

I hope that this ntsync stuff, wine-wayland and the explicit sync thing across all compositors and drivers, will make basic linux distro's (such Fedora) better at playing windows games then what's currently the case.
                I mean for real.. launching and playing games on my Steam Deck is a night and day difference compared to my PC (with much better specs) running stock Fedora linux.
                My pc suffers from input lag, window resizing issues and other shitty little things.. while the Deck just gets me a console-like experience...

Comment

It is officially time for a rename! Linux will now be known as LiNT!

That said, I fully agree Spacefish I am finding more and more that games run noticeably better on Linux then Windows! The whole experience of some games is vastly better on Linux now... take Minecraft for example... I tried to get it set up for my kid on Windows and gave up in the end to do it in Linux... the Windows store crap made it stupidly complicated to even just get it installed!

Been playing Satisfactory in Linux for a long time now and it is shocking how well it runs, no issues at all. Last night on a pure lark with no expectation of success, installed Planet Coaster in Proton... I havent touched it in years, and it ran like crap windows native... I was stunned when it loaded up seamlessly and ran totally flawlessly!

The last remaining bastions of my Windows VM are Revit and SolidWorks... Maybe VR a bit but its improved a ton on Linux also.

Comment

Working...
                  X