Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New EEVDF Linux Scheduler Patches Make It Functionally "Complete"

Phoronix: New EEVDF Linux Scheduler Patches Make It Functionally "Complete"

Veteran Linux kernel developer Peter Zijlstra is working to wrap-up feature work around the EEVDF kernel scheduler code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, but will my system still freeze under heavy load?

Under heavy load my system freezes to the point that I can't move my mouse cursor, I cannot switch to another virtual terminal, and I cannot kill the offending process. All I can do is wait or REISUB.

Comment

Personally i am interested in if the concepts of the NEST scheduler could be bolted on somehow. And while I am at it... In this modern times with a plethora of cores available one might wonder if it would make sense to reserve some cores for low latency scheduling and some for throughout (dynamically of course). Not sure if that would cause any difference on eevdf at all but interesting nevertheless.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

a systemd infected machine
        I died here.

Comment

He seems to be rather angry. Whether you like systemd or not, it seems to have no relevance at all regarding the stability of his patches. The other wording like "puking all over the place" reinforces that impression.

I'd much rather learn what "Without something like this EEVDF will simply not work right" means specifically, given that it has been merged without it.

Comment

uid313 Use the BORE scheduler. It's fast and stable, while preserving responsiveness under load without hurting throughput too much. I can compile code in the background with thread oversubscription and use my computer like normal while the CPU is under full load.

Comment

I still miss MuQSS.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                Personally i am interested in if the concepts of the NEST scheduler could be bolted on somehow. And while I am at it... In this modern times with a plethora of cores available one might wonder if it would make sense to reserve some cores for low latency scheduling and some for throughout (dynamically of course). Not sure if that would cause any difference on eevdf at all but interesting nevertheless.
                NEST is provided by the scx-scheds (sched-ext Framework), but sadly doesnt provide that good results.

There are other interesting schedulers in scx-scheds tho, mainly scx_lavd (Latency Sensitive Tasks, the work is funded by Valve) and scx_rusty / scx_rustland.
                Be aware that scx_lavd doesnt have currently a proper handling if the CPU has multiple CXX's.

Michael I think it would be worth providing some informations/news about the sched-ext development, they are working really great on it and the example schedulers, like the above mentioned are in a good state nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Great, but will my system still freeze under heavy load?

Under heavy load my system freezes to the point that I can't move my mouse cursor, I cannot switch to another virtual terminal, and I cannot kill the offending process. All I can do is wait or REISUB.
                  no. well kinda, but it's really nice, it has only happened to me very rarely and I really pin the CPU often​

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
                  There are other interesting schedulers in scx-scheds tho, mainly scx_lavd (Latency Sensitive Tasks, the work is funded by Valve) and scx_rusty / scx_rustland.
                  Be aware that scx_lavd doesnt have currently a proper handling if the CPU has multiple CXX's.

Michael I think it would be worth providing some informations/news about the sched-ext development, they are working really great on it and the example schedulers, like the above mentioned are in a good state nowadays.
                  Massive +1, I've been using scx_lavd while gaming on my ryzen 2600, the performance difference when im running updates from the AUR is quite literally 30~fps to 55fps (for some reason it will never get to 60fps even when no load, but sits comfortably close to it) Rustland hasn't been super useful to me.

Comment

I know there is third party implementations that do it, but imho it should be built into desktops that they somehow inform the scheduler of the current focussed application so that it can receive priority.

Comment

Working...
                    X