Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Project's April Fools' Gag With Merit: Leveraging AI For Faster Code Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Yep!

AI today is not Artificial Intelligence, it`s MI Maschine Intelligence, it can make predictions about what the user wants based on loads of data, but it cant make desicions whats realy the best course of action, thats still the domain of humans with "Intelligence", if we specify humans as a intelligent species, wich i sometimes suspect.
    I bet 10 years ago, what passes as AI today would have been simply called "heuristics".

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

What I meant is a tool that can be be deployed like a CI, automatically giving feedback to merge/pull requests.
      And being capable of handling a multi-product code base. A developer tool will often only see the code of the specific product that person is working on, not the entirety of what the company or organisation is working on.

As for the "AI" aspect I would want such a tool to be very flexible in matching the new code to the old one.
      This is, after all, where current "AI" excels at.

However, having that said, I do agree that existing tools for developers in this area can already be very good for explicit use on a given project
      I agree it could grow into something much more useful. Even if it will never break away from human supervision, coding is such a repetitive endeavor, there's plenty of low-hanging fruits for automation.
      I find current "low code" solutions, BPMs and such very, very horrific wrt the code they generate. That would be an area where AI could prove helpful.

Comment

This AI code tools are really amazing... at monetizing middle manager FOMO.

Comment

I've used my intelligence to enforce a series of intelligent steps on the code assessment by requiring a clean static analysis, clean compilation by clang and GCC on multiple Linux variants....

I'm sure an AI would take the same steps before reviewing the code.

Last edited by Damian; 06 April 2024, 12:33 AM.

Comment

It might make sense for this not to remain an April's fool joke, but to work on making it a reality.
            Wine has long had a problem where some patch sets haven't made it into the code base for years and probably to this day the majority of weekly pull requests are simply ignored without comment... especially if they don't come from a Codeweavers employee.

Comment

I look forward to stories about machine learning 'maintainer' software cussing up a storm when someone submits especially broken code.

Comment

Working...
              X