Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SysVinit 3.09 Now Allows Building With musl C Library, Passing Boot Messages To Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

sadly I would like one that isnt garbage xD I've been looking into dinit and it seems quite promissing, havent tested it out yet though
    Looks like you don't like the answer but that is the reality. Every major distribution have switched to it because everything else is abandoned, barely maintained or even more of worst case situation.

Comment

sadly I would like one that isnt garbage xD I've been looking into dinit and it seems quite promissing, havent tested it out yet though
      everyone switched to systemd because it's good lol, imagine believing in conspiracy theories

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I imagine its this one line commit

musl has removed the non-prototype declaration of basename from string.h [1] which now results in build errors with clang-17+ compiler include libgen.h for using the posix declaration of the funcit...

So it's fixing a clangism/muslism
        Sysvinit is more important in musl-systems than glibc systems imo

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
          Looks like you don't like the answer but that is the reality. Every major distribution have switched to it because everything else is abandoned, barely maintained or even more of worst case situation.

it's not the truth, just because every major distribution uses systemd, doesn't mean that there aren't non abandoned init systems. Every major distribution ships either gnome or ubuntu, but that doesn't mean other DEs like wayfire or trinity don't exist.

Originally posted by hedonist View Post

everyone switched to systemd because it's good lol, imagine believing in conspiracy theories
          what the fuck does this even mean?

Comment

I'm glad to see a project that many people consider "dead" still being maintained and seeing updates. Props to the maintainers, and I wish them well.

I wonder if there is a list of "more modern" init systems. I've seen a couple but they all seem oriented for container based workloads. I realize "more modern" is a bit hard to quantify, but im not sure how to better put it
            Is upstart still maintained or in a working state? That was the "modern" init system designed to be compatible with sysvinit scripts while also being asynchronous. It was favored, until Red Hat released systemd... and we all know everybody goes with whatever Red Hat chooses lmao.

Comment

it's not the truth, just because every major distribution uses systemd, doesn't mean that there aren't non abandoned init systems.
              It is the truth. Name some counter examples if you have any

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Is upstart still maintained or in a working state? That was the "modern" init system designed to be compatible with sysvinit scripts while also being asynchronous. It was favored, until Red Hat released systemd... and we all know everybody goes with whatever Red Hat chooses lmao.
                as far as I know upstart is dead, it was maintained by some other folk for a while iirc.​

It is the truth. Name some counter examples if you have any
                I have zero idea what you are on about? are you asking my issues? I genuinely have no clue what you are asking if not that.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Is upstart still maintained or in a working state?
                  It is is no longer maintained. Canonical enforced a CLA before and then abandoned it and switched to Systemd when Debian adopted Systemd by default

Comment

I have zero idea what you are on about?
                    It was a simple question. You say it is not a truth but you haven't provided any counter examples to show it is not the truth. Feel free to do that.

Comment

It was a simple question. You say it is not a truth but you haven't provided any counter examples to show it is not the truth. Feel free to do that.
                      systemd is hardly perfect. For one thing, even though most of it's extended functionality is modular, even the core "init" system touches on far too many things compared to what an init system should. It's also quite heavy for an init system. Those in embedded spaces or with just lower end PCs might want something far simpler and lighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X