Bcachefs Fixes Deadlock In Recovery, More Fixes Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

The BTRFS extent tree v2 should (as far as I know) lay the foundation for being able to do things like that. The first step would be separate storage profiles for subvolumes. As you can guess I am quite biased towards btrfs, but I admit that bcachefs at least on paper have a couple of really interesting features.
    It will be interesting to see how that comes together. Although for the system I'm typing this on it wouldn't be useful to me, since I would never use Btrfs for RAID10 given the guaranteed data loss on a 2nd drive failure (4x 14TB HDD + 2x 4TB NVMe). I played with a tiered setup for this with Bcachefs once kernel 6.7 came out, but it couldn't even mount the pool with native encryption enabled .

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
      Yeah, block all these insideous guys that go on loosing other peoples data...
      When homophones and bad spelling are on the loose, anything might happen. It's insidious. Bad spelling is basically a coding error, but some people's compilers are set to ignore warnings. It's also an Internet rule that in correcting someone else's mistake, you are almost bound to make a more embarrassing one yourself.

English is not simple, though.

goose, moose, noose, so loose. The 'oo' glyph covers many sounds - many of which have the sound of 'o' in 'lose', so it is understandable why people get confused: book, took, rook, boom, room, doom, loom, food, loop, cool, roost, coop (chicken), cooperate, zoo, zoonosis.

Then, if you look at the ending '-ose', the common sounds lead you astray again: hose, nose, pose, rose, but lose. What?!

I have every sympathy for people who do not have English as a first language. It does seem entirely mad at times.

Comment

It sounds like Kent wants another scolding from Linus, telling him again that merges for a new kernel should only contain code that was ready and tested before merge window started, not such that has been cooked up during merge window.

Comment

Thing gets exposed to a MUCH wider audience -> more bugs pop up. There's literally absolutely nothing surprising or worrisome about this. Things will calm down in a couple of months hopefully.

Comment

Working...
          X