F2FS Improves Zoned Block Device Support & Per-File Compression For Linux 6.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post

so, you had data loss with XFS, btrfs and F2FS?
    That's quite odd. Did you verify your hardware?
    Did I write anything like that? This near data loss incident on kernel upgrade was for F2FS only (everything was working fine when I've downgraded kernel, but I had to reformat entire partition in order to perform kernel upgrade).

But yes, I had a real data loss with BTRFS in ~2012. Back then, it would catastrophically fail on power outage with no fsck tool available. Now it's probably much safer, and much slower.
    Last edited by sobrus; 19 March 2024, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
      Did I write anything like that? This near data loss incident on kernel upgrade was for F2FS only (everything was working fine when I've downgraded kernel, but I had to reformat entire partition in order to perform kernel upgrade).
      I misinterpreted your message then, sorry!

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
      But yes, I had a real data loss with BTRFS in ~2012. Back then, it would catastrophically fail on power outage with no fsck tool available. Now it's probably much safer, and much slower.
      btrfs got faster since 2012 (and yes, safer too!)

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

btrfs got faster since 2012 (and yes, safer too!)
        And this would be my first choice if I needed advanced features.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
          IIUC SSD drives do their own balancing, and F2FS is meant to be used with "raw" flash media, like SD cards.
          Unlike JFFS2 and UBIFS, F2FS is not designed with raw flash devices in mind.. Using F2FS on device without FTL will quickly destroy it’s flash.

And devices like SD cards and eMMC devices do have an FTL. Just not as advanced as the bigger SSD drives. Otherwise they wouldn’t last very long when running an FS like exFAT/ext4/NFTFS

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
            IIUC SSD drives do their own balancing, and F2FS is meant to be used with "raw" flash media, like SD cards.
            When will you stop spreading disinformation?

Comment

It was a bit hard to find, but I finally found a source (see paragraph two) that explains it, and F2FS is indeed not for raw devices. It attacks the issues at file system level without trying to take place of FTL, that was the other thing I got wrong. This article which I had read doesn't explicitly state it either.
              Last edited by direc85; 22 March 2024, 10:04 AM. Reason: s/chapter/paragraph/

Comment

Working...
              X