No announcement yet.

Intel Releases SVT-AV1 2.0 For Even Faster AV1 Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, more mucking about presets I bet, time to test again, man im glad rav1e is good enough for most of my stuff lol

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      The flip side is that encoding speed is usually also a good indicator of how demanding decode is.
      i couldn´t disagree more.. Typically it´s pretty compute intenstive to find an optimal packing solution, but N(1) expensive to unpack it.
      Example: Think about de-duplication you can do an n² search to find duplicate blocks, but the "decode" side of it only does a lookup no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
        i couldn´t disagree more.. Typically it´s pretty compute intenstive to find an optimal packing solution, but N(1) expensive to unpack it.
        Example: Think about de-duplication you can do an n² search to find duplicate blocks, but the "decode" side of it only does a lookup no matter what.
        you can completely ignore the dumb replies, svtav1 has a fast-decode setting that can often take more time to encode, but be significantly faster to decode. that alone is enough to debunk this.

x265 can be much slower then svtav1 at a given quality and still be faster to decode, and vice versa, being faster to encode and slower to decode, depending on what features get enabled or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          you can completely ignore the dumb replies, svtav1 has a fast-decode setting that can often take more time to encode, but be significantly faster to decode. that alone is enough to debunk this.

x265 can be much slower then svtav1 at a given quality and still be faster to decode, and vice versa, being faster to encode and slower to decode, depending on what features get enabled or not.
          X264 and x265 also have a fast decode option, but it doesn't mean that it makes decoding fast, it means it makes it faster than without that setting.h resi

I can also tell you haven't done that much svt-av1 4k+ encoding or decoding or you have a very fast system.

But encoding svt-av1 at high resolutions and high bit-rates consumes a lot of ram and takes a lot of processing power and decoding those files is very challenging when doen via software.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

X264 and x265 also have a fast decode option, but it doesn't mean that it makes decoding fast, it means it makes it faster than without that setting.h resi

I can also tell you haven't done that much svt-av1 4k+ encoding or decoding or you have a very fast system.

But encoding svt-av1 at high resolutions and high bit-rates consumes a lot of ram and takes a lot of processing power and decoding those files is very challenging when doen via software.
            I literally do 4k encoding with svtav1 all the time on a ryzen 2600... it's not the slowest cpu in the world, but when you limit core allocation it's not the fastest either

Comment

It's good that there's so many devices that are getting tested. More things like Apple M1 or M2 as well as SBCs would be nice additions to what's there already.

Comment

Working...
              X