Linus Torvalds Isn't Happy With Some Of The Bcachefs Code For Linux 6.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Isn't Happy With Some Of The Bcachefs Code For Linux 6.9

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Isn't Happy With Some Of The Bcachefs Code For Linux 6.9

Since the Bcachefs file-system was upstreamed in the Linux 6.7 kernel it's been humming along fairy well. But today the Bcachefs feature updates were sent in for the Linux 6.9 merge window and Linus Torvalds isn't happy about some of the proposed code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not again LOL

Can someone explain what the actual hype is for this file system when it’s poorly written, slower than the competition, doesn’t do anything unique, and its maintainer is emotionally unstable? Is it just because it’s not Btrfs?
    Last edited by mxan; 13 March 2024, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Another bcachefs drama again 😂
      Hope Overstreet also can overcome it and continue his awesome work.

Comment

Kent really needs to be taken down a peg and Linus is the one to do it. The other maintainers aren't perfect but Kent is worse.

Comment

I would highly reccomend people read the mailing list replies before commenting here. There is no drama, just technical discussion. It's normal for one dev to like something and for another not to... Phoronix readers really need to learn how to not jump to conclusions

Comment

Off-topic: We can only hope Linus's successor is as BDFL as him. Never change Linus, never change.

Comment

I hope Michael follows this and write updated about how's progressing.

This article has certain sensationalism; IMHO.

Comment

Proof that therapy doesn't work.

Comment

I see no "hype", no drama, I see no "emotionally unstable", I see Kent trying to push a new kernel interface which Linus doesn't like and prefers it to be kept private to bcachefs.

Let's keep it professional. Discuss the code, not the person.

Comment

Linus is tough, but that's because he is an amazing dev with a (too much for some) honest way of expressing his thoughts that Linux is what it is today.

If more often, technical leads were honest about code quality, and clean naming convention like Linus is, we would end up with way better quality software overall.
                    Last edited by rmfx; 13 March 2024, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X