Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awesome Changes Coming With Linux 6.9: Lots From Intel/AMD, FUSE Passthrough & More Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Changes Coming With Linux 6.9: Lots From Intel/AMD, FUSE Passthrough & More Rust

Phoronix: Awesome Changes Coming With Linux 6.9: Lots From Intel/AMD, FUSE Passthrough & More Rust

Depending upon how Linus Torvalds is feeling today, Linux 6.8 could debut today as stable and in turn mark the opening of the Linux 6.9 merge window... Otherwise it will be punted off by one week. In any event, there's a lot of interesting work queuing for Linux 6.9 as shared in today's preview...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It may seem silly as Linux and open source development is a continuous journey but with 6.9 about to drop along with Mesa 24.1 and the news that Red Hat is dropping X.org in late fall of this year with Fedora 41 and Suse now dropping GRUB and using systemd’s boot process, I can not wait for 2026. Why 2026? That will be the next LTS release of Ubuntu and I can see it as a Wayland only, systemd only release with majorly improved Snap performance along with finally releasing a fully Snapped version with the kernel even Snapped and immutable. Not to mention a much more advanced and improved GNOME GUI with everything finally ported over to GTK 4 and Nautilus file system with the work now being finalized for 46 as a base to start from. All just in time to take advantage of AMD Zen 6 Medusa and RDNA 4. Hopefully the crappy mess of ROCm can be sorted out by April 2026 to coincide with Ubuntu 26.04 LTS. Couple that with a much improved Wine and hopefully by 2026 the complete rewrite of Bottles is done for a wonderful front end for Wine.

Comment

I hope pstate preferred core will also make it.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        I hope pstate preferred core will also make it.
        Whoops yes it is, forgot to mentio nit. Thanks. It's in linux PM next.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Whoops yes it is, forgot to mentio nit. Thanks. It's in linux PM next.
          Thats awesome!
          Especially for those with the 3000 series (zen2) threadrippers getting both pstate and preferred core at the same time.

Comment

What about ZSTD?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              with majorly improved Snap performance
              Oh yea sure that will happen now of all time.

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              along with finally releasing a fully Snapped version with the kernel even Snapped and immutable.
              Maybe they will remove things from the kernel to make their idiotic filesystem image decompression less slow, just like they did with the Firefox snap.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                What about ZSTD?
                I assume you are referring to LZ4 compression option for hibernation images​? I understood the work on LZ4 to introduce a framework that simplifies the addition of more compression algorithm. I am hoping for Zstd, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post

I assume you are referring to LZ4 compression option for hibernation images​? I understood the work on LZ4 to introduce a framework that simplifies the addition of more compression algorithm. I am hoping for Zstd, too.
                  No, he's taking about Zstd 1.5.5, which he was hoping would make it in to 6.8. The patches were made, but it didn't make it in to 6.8's merge window. He's asking if another attempt will be made to submit it for 6.9's merge window.

Comment

Working...
                  X