No announcement yet.

FUSE Passthrough Support May Land For Linux 6.9 To Help Boost I/O Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully this will hurt the sluggish GVFS and MTP.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
      Hopefully this will hurt the sluggish GVFS and MTP.
      You mean "help"? It won't. This only helps with overlay/union filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by trapexit View Post
        If a read fails on a remote filesystem or write results in ENOSPC there is no mechanism to push that info to the FUSE server and do something about it. I think many users will be fine with that feature tradeoff though.
        Other than a kernel error you mean ? Can't you un-passthrough in that case ? Since this is supposed to be exceptional case, I *guess* it's not a problem if you have to re-do the operation without the passthrough mode.

Comment

Originally posted by bob l'eponge View Post
          Other than a kernel error you mean ? Can't you un-passthrough in that case ? Since this is supposed to be exceptional case, I *guess* it's not a problem if you have to re-do the operation without the passthrough mode.
          As far as I understand the way the feature is implemented you can't "un-passthrough" it. Say you setup the passthrough on open and then a write returns with ENOSPC. The current API does not return that error back to the FUSE server. The server is bypassed for all RW. I believe I'll get a release but not the error. So I can't catch the situation like I do now and do something about it.

Comment

Working...
          X