Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micron Engineer Sends Out Linux Patches For New FAMFS File-System

Phoronix: Micron Engineer Sends Out Linux Patches For New FAMFS File-System

A request for comments patch series was posted today for FAMFS, a new special purpose file-system proposal out of Micron for dealing with Fabric-Attached Memory (FAM) devices such as will become more common within the Compute Express Link (CXL) server space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not. Another. Filesystem.

Please.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Please.
      There are more Linux use cases than your desktop. Don't worry, nobody will force you to use this file system.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Please.
        Not. Another. Car. Brand.

Please.

Not. Another. Laptop. Manufacturer.

Please.

Not. Another. Smartphone. Manufacturer.

Please.

Not. Another. Barber. Shop.

Please.

Seriously, why do people always hate choice on Linux, but never complain in other fields?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Seriously, why do people always hate choice on Linux, but never complain in other fields?
          Adding filesystems to Linux increases the maintenance burden of all other subsystems; all future subsystem changes need to be compatible with that new filesystem. I "care" because it's necessarily going to take resources away from the filesystems and features that I do use.

If the authors of this filesystem kept it as an out-of-tree module forever then I wouldn't mind, but I suspect they don't want to do that for exactly the reasons above.

Comment

Working...
          X