A Linux Kernel API For Today's Complex RGB Devices Is Being Devised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linux Kernel API For Today's Complex RGB Devices Is Being Devised

Phoronix: A Linux Kernel API For Today's Complex RGB Devices Is Being Devised

When it comes to today's complex RGB lighting for PC peripherals and the like it's mostly been left up to user-space. With most RGB devices interfacing via USB, it's been up to Linux user-space projects like OpenRGB, OpenRazer, etc, to implement their RGB lighting controls as needed. But as RGB lighting use continues to grow in the PC space for better or worse, there's an increasing need for a kernel API to handle complex RGB devices. Such an API is currently being devised...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just read through the LKML and the OpenRGB Issue Tracker. It's nice to see the exchange of different ideas from different parties to find the best solution. Keep up all the good work there.

Comment

I hope this fixes that really annoying issue where the RGB controller can be also treated as a game controller...

EX: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-922149723

Comment

I wonder how they’ll make something with cross-compatibility when there are so many incompatible connectors and interfaces. RGB manufacturers clearly want to keep their walled gardens.

Comment

FGS, the OS kernel is for OS/system integration, not for eye candy! Sheer insanity!

Comment

I HIGHLY doubt this needs an actual kernal API. Why not just a kernel driver?

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
              FGS, the OS kernel is for OS/system integration, not for eye candy! Sheer insanity!
              So no HDR and VRR support either?
              I mean, the programmable LED spacers on the framework laptop could actually be useful for some kind of notifications. Same could have gone for the macbook touchbar (that was screwed up though)

Comment

Finally

Comment

I paid 60% more for all my components so that they could go blinky blinky, and I demand that they go blinky blinky in the exact way that I want. I just hope it costs less RGBux to change the colors than on Windows.

Comment

Exactly!!!! Why the heck is this even being concidered for kernel space?? Cant this be done in user space? If it cant... then we really need to ask "should it be done at all?"

Nothing like actively increasing the threat area of the core of the OS...

Comment

Working...
                    X