Linux Still Working To Disable RNDIS Drivers In 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
    The Android kernels I know use USB_USBNET for Ethernet over USB and RNDIS is disabled. I support removing RNDIS, good riddance.

Android kernels are not mainline anyway. They will not be affected

​​​​​​https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USBNET.html

​​​​​​
    You still don't get it.

RNDIS is needed on both the device and the client computer.

If the phone or tablet has it while the computer doesn't, tethering fails.

And all my phones and tablets, even new ones barely 15 months old, still use RNDIS for tethering.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
      Bye bye USB-modems and using smartphone as USB-modem too.

Bluetooth is also a crappy protocol and overall technology. Why not delete it too then? :P j/k
      Never liked dedicated USB modems. Way to complicated to set up on Linux, especially if the chip has no driver and the SIM has incorrect information. At least in Windows these modems supply a GUI to quickly configure everything for use, and also bundles the driver as well.

Also doesn't help how most notebooks today refuse to provide more than two USB ports unless it's a pricier version. Connect phone to one USB port for charging and file transfer, connect USB modem to second port and nothing else can be attached to the notebook anymore.

USB modems had their time. The convenience of USB tethering + charging + file transfer over just one USB connection is too great to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

You still don't get it.

RNDIS is needed on both the device and the client computer.

If the phone or tablet has it while the computer doesn't, tethering fails.

And all my phones and tablets, even new ones barely 15 months old, still use RNDIS for tethering.
        I get it, but what part of insecure you don't get? If/when MS makes the protocol open, it can be fully implemented and added back in.
        Until then, use a USB Ethernet dongle that works with other protocols available in USBNET. If you don't have a simple switch, you can use a twisted Ethernet cable to connect to Windows computer. This will work. Still, you are free to dig in and hold your breath.

Comment

The Android kernels I know use USB_USBNET for Ethernet over USB and RNDIS is disabled. I support removing RNDIS, good riddance.

Android kernels are not mainline anyway. They will not be affected

​​​​​​https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USBNET.html

​​​​​​
          But this is not the problem. Without working RNDIS host on the latest (and future) kernels you wont be able to use any device using older kernel (despite it is android or any embedded solution) with RNDIS enabled.

Comment

I get it, but what part of insecure you don't get? If/when MS makes the protocol open, it can be fully implemented and added back in.
            Until then, use a USB Ethernet dongle that works with other protocols available in USBNET. If you don't have a simple switch, you can use a twisted Ethernet cable to connect to Windows computer. This will work. Still, you are free to dig in and hold your breath.
            What do you mean for USB Etherent dongle and switch/cable? I think the current RNDIS discussion is all about when a user is owning only a smartphone subscribed internet data service, plus a computer that can only access internet through that smartphone via USB connection. And that smartphone is obviously not the latest Android 14 model, and possibly only offers RNDIS service without any other interface for internet tethering.

Are you gifting people that extra "Windows computer" out of thin air? You may as well tell people to go back to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

What do you mean for USB Etherent dongle and switch/cable? I think the current RNDIS discussion is all about when a user is owning only a smartphone subscribed internet data service, plus a computer that can only access internet through that smartphone via USB connection. And that smartphone is obviously not the latest Android 14 model, and possibly only offers RNDIS service without any other interface for internet tethering.

Are you gifting people that extra "Windows computer" out of thin air? You may as well tell people to go back to Windows.
              You did not understand. But that is okay. I am bored here.

Comment

so disable it on the PC side, why screw over everyone when this could literally be as simple as a distro blacklisting a driver?

Comment

Bluetooth is insecure.
                  Now go and shill for removing it from the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Bluetooth is insecure.
                    Now go and shill for removing it from the kernel.
                    I don't need to ask, I can do that myself if needed but there is no need. I can also reenable RNDIS if I want. You can't?

Comment

I don't need to ask, I can do that myself if needed but there is no need. I can also reenable RNDIS if I want. You can't?
                      for many people, no. I couldn't imagine the clusterfuck of needing to modify an ISO to re-add rndis whether it be via dkms or compiling a kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X