Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualcomm Hardware Support Increasingly In Good Shape On The Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Hardware Support Increasingly In Good Shape On The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Qualcomm Hardware Support Increasingly In Good Shape On The Mainline Linux Kernel

After years of work by Qualcomm and Linaro engineers, the Qualcomm SoC support on the mainline Linux kernel has finally matured enough that new hardware support tends to come rather quickly and be well supported. With the forthcoming Linux 6.8 kernel the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 can boot on the mainline kernel, the Snapdragon-powered ThinkPad X13s has been popular with Linux developers thanks to the upstream support, and other Qualcomm-powered devices tending to play more nicely with upstream Linux these days rather than having to resort to vendor kernel builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this only for desktop class Qualcomm SOCs? Or also for Android device SOCs? Cause the latter was always a issue with custom roms.

Comment

First the moon, and now kernel development - dang that Neil guy is prolific!

Comment

I think consumer devices like laptops are like the ultimate test of arch maturity.
        It's far more impressive to me that "shit just works" on whatever builds rather than "yeah. this really spiffy one off is demo ready, but nothing else".

Thumbs up for the ARM laptop/desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          Is this only for desktop class Qualcomm SOCs? Or also for Android device SOCs? Cause the latter was always a issue with custom roms.
          good question
          but i think that most of the problems on android devices are the other things that comes with that SOC like the display/battery/sim/sdcard/whatever that is attach to the soc

Comment

if it uses snapdragon 8 gen 3 it will be supported. this also includes android devices with this same chip as the CPU is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
              I think consumer devices like laptops are like the ultimate test of arch maturity.
              It's far more impressive to me that "shit just works" on whatever builds rather than "yeah. this really spiffy one off is demo ready, but nothing else".

Thumbs up for the ARM laptop/desktop.
              I agree, im eagerly awaiting ARM on desktop/laptop. I can only hope it reaches maturity because i would love to run arm machines instead of x86-64.

Linux already has amazing application support on basically all architectures due to flatpak (flatpak can use qemu in the backend to emulate architectures for apps that are incompatible with the native architecture)

Comment

The Lenovo ThinkPad X13s was also talked about for its generally great support.
                The "work in progress" items don't jive with "generally great support" to me. USB-C power delivery, video acceleration, EC, camera, etc.

Comment

Laptops are nice, but i think the other devices with qualcomm hardware are the really interesting targets, tablets, phones, modems, earbuds.
                  Hope the oems get on board with adding their special flavours as well.

Comment

Seeing that Android 14 steps no further than kernel 6.1, it's probably the former.

Comment

Working...
                    X