Amazon Proposes Pkernfs For Better Handling Hypervisor Live Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Proposes Pkernfs For Better Handling Hypervisor Live Updates

Phoronix: Amazon Proposes Pkernfs For Better Handling Hypervisor Live Updates

Stemming from work done at Amazon Web Services (AWS) for better handling hypervisor live updates, a "request for comments" patch series was sent out on the Linux kernel mailing list for Pkernfs. The Pkernfs proposal was first detailed publicly by AWS last year and is for persisting guest memory and kernel/device state safely across Kexec...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On one hand I miss the days in the early 2000s where Linux was more of a hobbyist OS and wasn't so big and corporate. We had our written by hand X11 configs that we had to be careful didn't blow the monitor up and simple WMs like JWM and IceWM ruled the day. Everyone was super excited about the 2.6 series kernels because they supported SATA without a boot floppy like Windows XP required.

Far simpler times, I lament those days.

There is a lot about Modern Linux I dislike nowadays, but this is super cool being able to update the host OS under the guests with 0 down time.

Comment

Linux wasn't a hobbyist OS even by early 2000s? Unless you're talking about the desktop side of it, and I would *still* call it a desktop OS for hobbyists. I mean you can still destroy your monitor if you want to.....icewm has never ruled the day either?? Everyone who liked eye candy were using E16, assuming you didn't stick with gnome (default on every distro).

Modern linux has done an admirable job of staying both open and supporting the new hardware. I bet your SSD has more transistors on its controller than an entire server did in 2003 - I cannot imagine configuring some of the modern services and their dependencies using perl scripts and rc hacks nor do I want to go back to the day of hacking modelines in an X conf file.

Also, if you were using RHEL3/4 on Dell/HP/etc in 2005->2010 there's a good chance you had a floppy disk around with the boot driver for your shiny SAS/RAID controller that didn't have support in the kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post
        Linux wasn't a hobbyist OS even by early 2000s? Unless you're talking about the desktop side of it, and I would *still* call it a desktop OS for hobbyists. I mean you can still destroy your monitor if you want to.....icewm has never ruled the day either?? Everyone who liked eye candy were using E16, assuming you didn't stick with gnome (default on every distro).

Modern linux has done an admirable job of staying both open and supporting the new hardware. I bet your SSD has more transistors on its controller than an entire server did in 2003 - I cannot imagine configuring some of the modern services and their dependencies using perl scripts and rc hacks nor do I want to go back to the day of hacking modelines in an X conf file.

Also, if you were using RHEL3/4 on Dell/HP/etc in 2005->2010 there's a good chance you had a floppy disk around with the boot driver for your shiny SAS/RAID controller that didn't have support in the kernels.
        I was a teen in preteen in the early 2000s just learning about my passion for computers. Magazines like Computer Power User were just starting to run articles on Linux and I hadn't discovered Linux specific magazines for a few more years (I did go on to read and enjoy Linux Journal, Linux Voice, and now Linux Format).

I had a little 1GB of RAM socket 1 AMD Duron single core CPU. It sometimes ran KDE 3.x on it I wasn't even aware of XFCE yet. Tried many of the floating window managers out there. Distros I was experiencing were Knoppix Live CD and Xandros installed Linux.

By the time I got my first Linux job we were on the tail end of RHEL 6 and early RHEL 7. I mean heck I was still in high school in 2010.

Comment

Working...
        X