No announcement yet.

LXD Fork Incus Looking At Bcachefs Storage Driver & Upcoming LTS Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing they switched to agpl but sad they force CLA.

But to get on topic: What is this bcachefs driver and why does lxd need it? I never needed a ext4 driver when i used lxd, it comes with the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

But to get on topic: What is this bcachefs driver and why does lxd need it? I never needed a ext4 driver when i used lxd, it comes with the kernel.
      I would love someone explainingthis to laymen too, really

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

That one is easy. LXD does have a ZFS driver, Btrfs driver etc because you can directly integrate with volumes and snapshots. So unlike Ext4, Bcachefs could use a similar integration too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Canonical is importing Apache 2.0 code from Incus to LXD, without CLA signing. They're breaking the CLA this way.
          They require the CLA from external contributors, they aren't bound to it when they import outside code themselves. The AGPLv3 + CLA gives Canonical maximum freedom to do whatever they want with the code (including turning it proprietary and selling proprietary licenses), while outsiders are limited by the full extent of the AGPLv3. Sleazy maybe, but AFAICT not illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Canonical is importing Apache 2.0 code from Incus to LXD, without CLA signing. They're breaking the CLA this way.
            Uh, that's not how it works at all.

Comment

Working...
            X