Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~5 Minutes Of Coding Yields A 6%+ Boost To Linux I/O Performance

Phoronix: ~5 Minutes Of Coding Yields A 6%+ Boost To Linux I/O Performance

IO_uring creator and Linux block subsystem maintainer Jens Axboe spent about five minutes working on two patches to implement caching for issue-side time querying in the block layer and can yield 6% or more better I/O performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And less than a 1 minute job of disabling io_uring can bring a 60% boost to Linux security.

I joke, I joke. Not everything on a computer needs to be secure (i.e offline HPC workloads).

Comment

It probably took so long as everyone knows that one of the two hardest things in programming is cache invalidation.

Comment

Jens Axboe - this explains everything

I guess his 5 minutes of work in I/O subsystem is more like 5 years for ordinary software developer.

Comment

5 minutes alone
          \m/

Comment

Highlighting that he essentially said he had years of hammock time before coding. I wonder if the solution looks the same as originally pondered or if the code in other areas had to improve before the 5 minute addition was possible.

Comment

At this point I wish more software would take advantage of IO_uring!
              I don't even know any that already does.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                At the time of this writing, on my Debian sid amd64:

# apt-cache search io_uring
                liburing-dev - Linux kernel io_uring access library - development files
                liburing2 - Linux kernel io_uring access library - shared library
                librust-blocking-dev - thread pool for isolating blocking I/O - Rust source code
                librust-io-uring-dev - Low-level `io_uring` userspace interface for Rust - Rust source code

# apt-cache rdepends liburing2
                liburing2
                Reverse Depends:
                libmariadbd19
                samba-vfs-modules
                qemu-utils
                qemu-system-x86
                qemu-system-sparc
                qemu-system-ppc
                qemu-system-misc
                qemu-system-mips
                qemu-system-common
                qemu-system-arm
                qemu-guest-agent
                plocate
                mpd
                mariadb-test
                mariadb-server-core
                mariadb-backup
                liburing-dev

Good to see that the (probably conditional, anyway) usage of io_uring hasn't spread to many packages yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  PLocate (a implementation of the venerable locate tool) does for disk IO, not sure if it is only for indexing or for searching too.

Comment

Originally posted by debrouxl View Post
                    mpd
                    Interesting, this little beast always is on the edge of maximum performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X