Limine 7.0 Bootloader Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    I don't believe in EFI shit wherever I can I deactivate it, so thanks evert_mouw but that does not help me at least in the short term.
    That doesn't leave you with many options.
    Maybe Gujin or Smart Boot Manager... maybe...

Download gujin boot/system loader for free. This software boots your PC and analyse your filesystems. It displays a graphical menu for you to select which system to boot.

Comment

Why not just work on Lilo surely that could be improved an usable. Grub seems to be Dying. But yeah I have never heard of this bootloader.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
        That doesn't leave you with many options.
        And you want tell me this boot managers can find a kernel with such path:
        /gnu/store/cbc7x9in2dnjrnh840c21ivgygnndp1c-linux-6.4.16/bzImage

I think the solution would maybe that the distro write their config somewhere and the meta-group searches partitions for grub files at each boot or with a option or something to read that.

Comment

I think the solution would maybe that the distro write their config somewhere and the meta-group searches partitions for grub files at each boot or with a option or something to read that.
          No, you tell this boot loader where the kernel is. Ideally, a distribution would have it set up so that something like a Pacman hook would be ran when you update your secure boot hash and whatnot, but this is so new that most distributions haven't had someone do the work that makes it plug and play easy. Perhaps this could pick up a scanning and config writing ability so it becomes less hands-on and more user friendly? That's part of what I meant when I said it'd be interesting to see where this is in another year or two.

Comment

I would like to see more boot loaders get covered on Phoronix! I have never heard of this limine one before. I bet a lot of people don't know about the Slackware boot loader either which is an enhanced lilo called elilo.

Comment

No distros are likely to invest in pre-EFI stuff.
              Also I never saw such idiotic paths to a kernel.

Good luck!

Comment

Also I never saw such [...] paths to a kernel.
                Guix, sister of Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Guix, sister of Nix.
                  Ah. I'll stay with Pacman then.

Comment

Ah. I'll stay with Pacman then.
                    If that's enough, do so.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

If that's enough, do so.
                      It might even be too much sometimes. Slackware was formative.

But really I don't get the Guix/Nix way of hiding kernels in such obtrusive paths. A simple symlink or maybe hardlink could give a fixed, permanent filename for the boot loaders out there. Maybe they already do exactly that but I've not tried both package managers.

Comment

Working...
                      X