No announcement yet.

Fwupd 1.9.11 Released With Support For New Algoltek & Luxshare USB Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the flip-side, I have a small number of USB devices that I definitely do not want to have their firmware updated automatically. Does fwupd have a mechanism for blocking updates too?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
      On the flip-side, I have a small number of USB devices that I definitely do not want to have their firmware updated automatically. Does fwupd have a mechanism for blocking updates too?
      It looks like you can at least block specific firmware versions or completely inhibit firmware updates system wide, although I don't see something to ignore all firmware updates for a specific device. But in general things aren't going to automatically update on you. The closest you'd get in most distros is GNOME Software or KDE Discover suggesting the update which you could opt out of.

Code:
      Usage:
        fwupdmgr [OPTION…]​

block-firmware [CHECKSUM]         Blocks a specific firmware from being installed
      inhibit [REASON]                  Inhibit the system to prevent upgrades

Comment

It is odd how happy I get about such piece of software. But I still believe it is one of the foundational pieces in the whole history of linux, making systems more secure, setting standards that more and more distros adopt while becoming more and more a force to be reckoned with. I am really thankful this project exists, huge thanks to everyone involved and Hughes for creating it. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
          It looks like you can at least block specific firmware versions...
          If you do `man fwupd.conf` there's:

Code:
          DisabledDevices=
          Allow blocking specific devices by their GUID, using semicolons as delimiter.
          ​
          That's probably what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
            Well, not quite. These particular USB devices are currently unsupported by fwupd and so don't have a GUID yet. My nightmare scenario would be that they suddenly become supported and are updated before I realise.

Comment

> My nightmare scenario would be that they suddenly become supported and are updated before I realise

That's fair enough. If you want to work out what the GUID would be, you can use https://fwupd.org/lvfs/guid and use the instance ID like USB\VID_17EF&PID_30B4

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post

If you do `man fwupd.conf` there's:

Code:
                DisabledDevices=
                Allow blocking specific devices by their GUID, using semicolons as delimiter.
                ​
                Thanks. Interestingly, Tumbleweed doesn't seem to ship that man page, or any man page relating to fwupd for that matter. That's what I had tried to look at first, then settled for the fwupdmgr --help output which doesn't actually list anything for DisabledDevices.

Comment

Working...
                X