Linux 6.7-rc8 Released: A Light Holiday Release With A Couple Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.7-rc8 Released: A Light Holiday Release With A Couple Fixes

Phoronix: Linux 6.7-rc8 Released: A Light Holiday Release With A Couple Fixes

For this New Year's Eve the decision was made to release Linux 6.7-rc8 to allow for an extra week of testing -- and pushing back the Linux 6.8 merge window further past the holidays -- rather than releasing Linux 6.7 stable today. As such, Linux 6.7-rc8 is out for a final week of testing this new kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux 7 will be more important. That's my prediction and it's not just because later kernel versions add more support for hardware. Eventually everyone will see why.
    Last edited by creative; 31 December 2023, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Maybe I'll find a little time tomorrow to grab RC8 from the OpenSUSE kernel repo and create that RAID10 HDD + RAID0 NVMe tiered storage setup to start playing with bcachefs before work starts again on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
        Linux 7 will be more important. That's my prediction and it's not just because later kernel versions add more support for hardware. Eventually everyone will see why.
        Based on the release history, Linux 7 will probably be in several years. Maybe (20-7)/4 years, assuming about 4 releases per year and assuming it'll be version 6.20 that is the restarting point as was last time.

I don't think anyone can know for sure what big thing is going in 3 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          No, but Linux 8 will be more important for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

No, but Linux 8 will be more important for sure.
            I doubt. Linux 64 will be the thing. Just wait and see!

Comment

Working...
            X