QEMU 8.2 Released With New VirtIO-Sound & VirtIO-GPU "Rutabaga" Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 8.2 Released With New VirtIO-Sound & VirtIO-GPU "Rutabaga" Devices

Phoronix: QEMU 8.2 Released With New VirtIO-Sound & VirtIO-GPU "Rutabaga" Devices

QEMU 8.2 has been released as the newest update for this open-source processor emulator that plays an important role within the open-source Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok, cool!
    But can't they work too on an intuitive and simple to use graphical interface like VirtualBox?
    And also a shared folder implementation again like VirtualBox?
    Having to setup Samba is cumbersome and time wasting until you find the right things.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      For Microsoft Hyper-V users is now a new "hv-balloon" device for the Hpyer-V Dynamic Memory protocol.
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      QEMU's 68l Mactntosh Quadra 800 emulation
      (is 68l correct?)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Ok, cool!
        But can't they work too on an intuitive and simple to use graphical interface like VirtualBox?
        Having to setup Samba is cumbersome and time wasting until you find the right things.
        The GUI apps that use libvirt like virt-manager and GNOME Boxes is pretty much that, and virt-manager supports adding shared folders without needing to use the likes of Samba.

That said, I do wish there's a simple GUI for QEMU that just exposes all the various options it has instead of needing to dig through the documentation, plus libvirt doesn't expose the more esoteric options like the cirrus graphics adapter for ancient OSes and such.

Comment

Too bad the new audio stuff still only supports stereo sound. So far scream[0] is still the best if you need high quality, low latency multi channel (7.1) audio, it seems. My use case is games in a Windows VM.
          [0]: https://github.com/duncanthrax/scream

Comment

Ok, cool!
            virt-manager is fine for the initial setup and configuration of a virtual machine. If I'm dealing with a Windows VM, then once I get it up and running I stop using virt-manager and only access it through RDP (which is the ideal protocol for remote access to Windows). If you need to transfer files to the VM then you can simply use an RDP shared folder.

Comment

Ok, cool!
              shared folder works fine with fat32 usb emulation, or using 9p, or virtiofs.​

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post
              The GUI apps that use libvirt like virt-manager and GNOME Boxes is pretty much that, and virt-manager supports adding shared folders without needing to use the likes of Samba.

That said, I do wish there's a simple GUI for QEMU that just exposes all the various options it has instead of needing to dig through the documentation, plus libvirt doesn't expose the more esoteric options like the cirrus graphics adapter for ancient OSes and such.
              So many options it wouldnt be good, you have literally hundreds of options with qemu, best to make specialized applications. zz0.0cqoogrl35ffzz

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
              Too bad the new audio stuff still only supports stereo sound. So far scream[0] is still the best if you need high quality, low latency multi channel (7.1) audio, it seems. My use case is games in a Windows VM.
              [0]: https://github.com/duncanthrax/scream
              Qemu has supported multichannel for years. Not sure why you are having issues, I've been using alsa with surround for a while, the only caveat is you need to disable mixing-engine,

EDIT: Alsa, Jack, and Pipewire all support more then 2 channels.
              Last edited by Quackdoc; 20 December 2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Still qemu doesn't have bridge mode for wifi connection. VMware and virtualbox will work fine on wifi bridgemode.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                  Still qemu doesn't have bridge mode for wifi connection. VMware and virtualbox will work fine on wifi bridgemode.
                  yes it does, use ipvtap, this is gist is for libvirt, but it still applies to qemu, make sure to read the comments though https://gist.github.com/gdamjan/ed09...ed17e11bbaed6d

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Qemu has supported multichannel for years. Not sure why you are having issues, I've been using alsa with surround for a while, the only caveat is you need to disable mixing-engine,

EDIT: Alsa, Jack, and Pipewire all support more then 2 channels.
                    I never managed to get more than 5.1 (I need 7.1) and even then the native qemu sound is noticeably higher latency and/or has issues with popping. I tried using PA and ALSA, after the big audio update in qemu. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                    X