More Bcachefs Fixes Land In Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinAdmin View Post
    Your argumentation makes me think that you already have been stroked.
    There is absolutely no correlation between theft (at home or out of home) and phishing.
    It's precisely in the word you used: incompetency.

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post
      I think that ​linuxgeex ia saying that it is impossible to reboot a system remotely when it asks a password during the reboot, without BMC/KVM/IP setup. However this could be solved using a TPM, even tough is still a bit complex to setup properly (and securely )
      Actually, what I was saying was in context of physical security. A TPM doesn't provide physical security, since if you steal the system you get the TPM along with the disk, so then encrypting it was a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
        Not true, the only not-encrypted things are boot records. Grub can reside on btrfs over LUKS(some newer encryption schemes were not implemented by GRUB)
        Grub then asks for password to decrypt partition, read it's config and voila:
        Actually, the article you are quoting disagrees with you. You are confabulating "boot loader" (GRUB) with "boot record". You can't put GRUB on LUKS encrypted partition because then the UEFI / BIOS can't read it in order to boot the system. The boot record on the other hand, is just a pointer to where the data exists on the disk. I recommend that in future you practice before you preach, lol.

[QUOTE] You can also also use embedded encryption in drives[QUOTE]

I covered that, but I was responding in context of Physical Security. If you add the keys to the system then you lose physical security. IE if someone has physical access or steals the system, then you may as well not have encrypted anything, since you gave them the keys to decrypt it on a silver platter.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Uh, so much mumbo-jumbo and confusion.

No, you don't need a BMC to reboot remotely. To load a bootloader from a remote storage device, yes, you need a BMC, but that's totally different from a "reboot".
          No confusion, but I will plead guilty to the "mumbo jumbo" if you plead guilty to ignorance of the meaning of the jargon... RTFM maybe?

If you want physical security then you can't have the keys stored in the device, so you need to supply them at boot time; if you are not physically present then you need a remote access method.

And so much (useless) effort to "secure" your system, yet, no backup of photos, so you only lost track of the most important thing, namely the safety of your data...
          Are you attempting to shame me for being open and honest and sharing a mistake I made?

You're only as sick as the secrets you keep.

Only a narcissist believes they live without error.
          Last edited by linuxgeex; 26 December 2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X